free website stats program Are Blue LED's Legal in Washington State? | Harley Davidson Forums

Are Blue LED's Legal in Washington State?

franka

I live in Washington state and run orange LED's on my Road King, looks great and highly increases night visibility equating to safer riding. Question is the legality of running blue LED's? Have tried looking online at DMV website but no luck, does anyone know the actual law or where to get a copy of the code?:newsmile055:

Id check with a Law enforcement Official to be sure & get it in writing in case you get pulled over by (Barnard P Fife), because after a ticket is written it does not go away easily... :s

In most states blue lights are for emergency vehicles only, check with your local policedept.

Abosolutly not, if you do there will be a friendly or maybe not so friendly WSP
ready to give you a $124 ticket, its a non moving violation that will cost you but not raise your insurance.
Will look up the RCW later if you want it.

Here in Italy ANY additional light is forbidden, in ANY color! :newsmile055:
Yes, you see around cars and bikes with blue led's, but they risk to meet a fussy officer...
A long debate is running about some liberalization in modding and tuning, more in line with EU recommendations, but it's a long story... :(

After-market manufacturers are pushing for a liberalization but our Parliament is busier in designing laws that help our Prime Minister to avoid trials and to increase the power of his media&TVCompanies! :small3d012:

Bah!

Ciao
Ugo

Franka...

Look up WAC (Washington Admin. Code) 204-21-230: Lighting Eqpt. Prohibited.
Section #4 clearly states "Blue lights are prohibited on any vehicle other than a law enforcement vehicle as defined in WAC 204-21-010."

This code also refers to RCW 46.37 which is Vehicle Lighting and other eqpt.

Anyway ya look at it.... I would suggest you steer clear of the Blue Lights. In Seattle, SMC Title 11 covers vehicles and motorcycles. When stopped for a Blue Light Violation it is an Equipment violation and should have no affects on your motorvehicle insurance, if you have coverage.

Just my .02$

Blue lights are likely illegal on a bike moving in traffic. But sitting still they look awesome! That is why most should have a switch, interlock (only turn on or off w/ a switch that come in the lighting kit). Some have strobe patterns that look more Las Vegas then straight highlighting only. Take a look at Four Dogs, or Smitty901 threads showing their lighting in the Search Tab and type in keywords.

Back