free website stats program appraisal of bike | Harley Davidson Forums

appraisal of bike

100ed

not sure where to put this .
my insurance company is asking me to get my bike appraised. i dont know where to get this done . i think its because of the value i put the bike at .she is a 03 flht with 100 annerversary package but we have made her into a flhtc buy adding radio and tour pack and lots of crome and blacked out parts .

I do not think the insurance co. will insure your bike as an flhtc when the title says flht. They want to go by book value and then insure the rest as add-ons. As for appraisal, I would think the dealership would be able to help.
03 anniversaries are not worth more than any other year. The market was flooded with them, I know I own one too. They just aren't worth a great deal more.

yes but i think i to many add ons i have almost doubled the price of the bike .
talked to dealer thay said (just blue book value)

yes but i think i to many add ons i have almost doubled the price of the bike .
talked to dealer thay said (just blue book value)

The add on's on a 9 year old bike are worth only a fraction of what you have invested. If I ever sell my Electra Glide it will be stock, and I'll try to get 30% back on my accessories from selling on ebay.

Its the reality of the big $$$ chrome. In the end its worth pennies on the dollar. Like Breeze said, if you try and sell the bike for what you have in it, it would never sell. I'm not saying that about just your bike but almost all of our bikes. Unless the bike was bought at a very deep discount.

Finally, voices of reason! Hahaha....I have tried to explain to more than a few people that because you put on $5000 of chrome bolt ons on a $15,000 bike that doesn't make a $20,000 bike. Everyone can do what they want with their ride but some don't realize that it usually enhances the look but not the value.

The sad truth is that , as many posts have put it, adding $5000 of add-ons to a $20,000 bike doesn't increase it's value by that amount. Ask anyone who owns an antique car. I have a '67 Galaxie Convertible that I have about $15,000 invested in. While the car is insured for that much through an antique auto policy, If I could get half that amount when selling it, that would be about right. Talk to your insurer and see what the cut off is for an appraisal. With my antique car policy anything over $20k needs an appraisal, but you can go $19,500 and no one cares. Good luck....

This was an excellent post. I bought my 100th anniversary Ultra for $14,000. back in '08. The dealership originally wanted &14,900 for it. It was loaded with chrome accessories. Rhinehart pipes, engine chromed, clutch & brake levers, Harley's Road Tech MP3 player, etc.,. The previous owner put a lot of extra's on that bike. I hate to say he "invested" in a lot of chrome accessories because it is a poor investment given the return, if you ask me. The previous owner happened to be in the dealership that very day that I was going to buy his bike and his girl friend comes up to me and says that they only gave them $12,000 for the bike, which at that time was only 5 years old!! That is when I offered $14,000 for the bike. The dealership was okay with $14,000, and I really wanted that bike!
So if ever I decided to sell the bike I would do like Breeze3at suggest, sell it stock and sell the parts on Ebay where I would hope to recoup some of the cost that the former owner and myself have "invested" in the bike. :s

I agree with everything said, best thing to do when you sell the bike, put it back to stock and sell the add ons yourself. That way it takes a little of the sting away!!!

Back