free website stats program Appears like slack when downshifting | Harley Davidson Forums

Appears like slack when downshifting

FLIPBEL

I have a 2009 egc with 2700 miles. I have noticed that when I downshift from 6th to 5th or 5th to 4th I get a little sound like slack (not on the downshift but when I let the clutch go and throttle up). The sound appears to comes from somewhere in the area of the tranny. This only happens on downshift and only on the higher gears. What gives??????

With the bike off and in first gear (without clutching) I rock it back and forward and I do get about 1 inch or so of free play before it stops moving. Is this normal???

THANKS!!!!!

The rocking slack is about right. Your primary chain may be a little loose. You can tighten it up (without doing any harm), by accelerating and decelerating 3 or 4 times in 1st or 2nd gear. Romp on it a bit then back off without pulling the clutch in. That causes extreame tightness and extreame slack in the primary chain and the adjuster automatically sets itself with spring tension. See if that helps.

The rocking slack is about right. Your primary chain may be a little loose. You can tighten it up (without doing any harm), by accelerating and decelerating 3 or 4 times in 1st or 2nd gear. Romp on it a bit then back off without pulling the clutch in. That causes extreame tightness and extreame slack in the primary chain and the adjuster automatically sets itself with spring tension. See if that helps.

i will try it tomorrow

With all these primary chain noise issues you would think HD would put the SE compensator in. I had the same noise in my 2010 ultra drove me crazy. Changed the primary compensator and noise is gone.

There are many threads on here about this lower primary noise. Do a search lots of good info.

Back