Apes on a dual disk Dyna. Brake line?

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by Merc Dr., Mar 30, 2013.

1. Merc Dr.

Merc Dr. New Member

I'm installing 16" apes on my 1999 FXDX with dual front disk brakes. I was looking at a Burly Brand cable kit, but they only offer it for single disk. I need some perspective on my options. I'm sure I'm not the first to put apes on a bike with this set up. Is there any other options I'm not listing?

1. I could buy the kit and order a seperate extended brake line. Anyone know what length I would need?

2. Just buy all the cables and electrical seperate. Anyone know what sizes, where to find this, or part #'s?

3. Remove one brake disk and caliper. Do I need to buy anything to convert this, or just remove and run the new brake line straight to the single caliper?
    How much will this affect my braking?

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I advise against removing one brake. If you do, you should also change the master cylinder to one for a single brake. Dual and single master cylinders have different size (9/16" or 5/8") pistons and internals. It will may your lever very sensitive. Search around, there's others besides Burly that make kits.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

4. kurtos

kurtos New Member

Hello,

I am actually in the same spot as you. Trying to extend cables on a 1999 FXDX,and ran into that dual-disc issue. Did you find a suitable solution?

Regards,
    Kurt

5. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I wouldnt remove any brakes either. If you go to Goodridge catalog and find your year, model. Than they will list other kits with the same number except with a +4", +10" etc. Get your bars and figure out the extra length needed with a piece of string and go from there. If you are ordering or buying Wild Ones they will tell you what you need.