Apes on 48, cable extensions?

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by WarDawg19, Mar 4, 2013.

1. WarDawg19

WarDawg19 New Member

I got 12" narrow apes for my forty eight and was wondering if I need a cable extension kit, if so which kit length should I get?

2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Yes you will need cable extensions. Measure the bars from tip (grip end) to about where the connector is on your bike. That will be your ballpark measurement.

Welcome to the forum.

3. WarDawg19

WarDawg19 New Member

Thanks

4. Bedrock

Bedrock Active Member

Be sure to share a pic when you're done w/ the install.

5. WarDawg19

WarDawg19 New Member

I will, it won't be until around may. Just trying to get everything ready, I'm going the bobber style with my own twist, pretty excited.

6. Bedrock

Bedrock Active Member

Sounds good.
    Welcome to the forum.

7. 66impala

66impala New Member

Your also going to need a longer clutch cable, brake line and extend the wiring harness. Might as well run the wires internally while doing all that.

Have you started the project yet.

8. glazier

glazier Junior Member

you really should go with these. and I'm pretty sure you'll need cable extensions and arm extensions too :D

Attached Files:

9. WarDawg19

WarDawg19 New Member

I won't be starting project until around June, I'm military deployed until may

10. MarkS

MarkS Member

Just did the Road 6, z-bars on my iron. I used the Burley extended kit. I did all internal wiring and it can be a bit of a pain with the z bars. Used a string to pull wires in and lots of we-40. It's much easier to put extended wires on after pulling the existing ones through the bars first. I watched a good video on YouTube on how to do it. If you have questions you can PM me and I'll try to help if you need. Good luck.....