free website stats program Ape Hangers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ape Hangers

I have 10" minis on my Softail, they're ok, would maybe switch up to 12" or 14"
if I was bored and had too much money :)

The ride does change the higher you go. If your hands are above your heart,
eventually they will fall asleep on a long ride, so you need to shake them once in a while.

Apes make the bike more difficult at slow speeds, but better for cruising.
had a pair of 18"ers when I was young.. looked good at the bar but that was about it !!

Gasbag;
I used to think that apes looked dumb, uncomfortable, & all that. After they came out with the streetbob I sat on one on the floor. The mini apes were very comfortable...so I bought one. This is what I'll tell you: If you stay between 12" + 16" you can benefit from them. Try not to go above the shoulders. Apes keep your back straight & your head is a decent position for riding. so if your neck gets too stiff or you get that knot in your back between your shoulder blades, try apes.

My .02

Dave

Thanks guys. I appreciate everyone chiming in. Personally I really don't care if you use them or not. Everyone has different tastes.

I was really curious about the control issue, which according to most here seems to be a negative thing. I guess one benefit would be you would have the driest armpits east of the Pacific...............:D

Everyone ride safe.....................

Funny thing, control...if you see the video thread of a "nice run by a policeman..." thru a tight weaving course of cones, he was doing it with "mini-apes", mid-way between shoulder and wide like "beach bars"! :s

Probably this allows him to do quick laps, leverage turning bars lock to lock with plenty wide space for hands, moving round the tank even with bike heeled way over, while feathering both the clutch and throttle, so mini apes were perfect...but likely not with full shoulder high apes. :D

When I first got my bike it had the stock bars on it. After a few rides I noticed that my neck and shoulders were bothering me. I have always liked the looks of apes, so I put some 16" apes on my bike. At first it was a little different but I quickly got used to them. I don't feel that they make my bike any harder to handle, in fact, I find it easier than when I had the stock bars on. My hands are about shoulder high and, contrary to myth, my hands don't fall asleep or get numb. In fact, my neck and shoulders have never felt so good after a long ride. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably do the same thing. I know that apes aren't for everybody, but I like them.

I've always had apes on my shovelhead, but now I have a Fat Bob and I must say the stock drag bars are really comfortable, I put 200 miles on it over the weekend without any pain, and for my years thats great!! :bigsmiley8:

I love the look of apes, but I thought they would be uncomfortable too, but my buddy swears this are comfortable. I'm debating on putting them on my Road King
F.gif

Back