free website stats program Ape hangers on a Road King | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ape hangers on a Road King

Guys a serious quetion, do your arms and shoulders not get tired and sore over a long distance ride?

Simple answer: YES. IMHO apes are made for looks/attitude, not comfort. Especially if they are above your shoulders.

I have a wide glide with 16" apes with 2" riser's. Just did a trip to Eureka Cal. from San Antonio. Arms never got tired or being uncomfortable. Love them. Paid 600.00 for apes prewired with controls & SS braided cables and lines. Installed them myself. Saved over 1000.00$ by not letting the dealer do it.

Simple answer: YES. IMHO apes are made for looks/attitude, not comfort. Especially if they are above your shoulders.

I had my 12.5 bars installed especially for comfort, not looks. They work perfectly for bringing my hands just a bit closer to my torso. I no longer have to bend forward slightly like I did with the stock FLHRC bars.

5000 mile trip to SD and back from CA, no sore or tired arms, neck, or back.

They look good to boot.:small3d035:

nope. the key is to get ones that keep your hands lower than your heart, any higher and the blood stop and your hands go to sleep, and I hate when that happens. hands that go to sleep during the day are up all night. :D

short answer is no.

16" apes as a young guy, was great !

I have 12.5" now on my softail, and nothing, except after being
off the scoots for a few years I have lost my 'iron' butt..
gotta get that back :)

squiresride.jpg

Just wanted to show off my old bike

Rottman, I am thinking about buying that exact bike, with the Reinhart slip-ons. How do you like that exhaust? Any thoughts on SE slip ons or the V&H? I just want to get the best sounding pipes I can. Is the stage 1 the 103 kit that HD offers?

Thanks

I think I should use the EDIT button instead of the BACK button to eliminate duplicate posts :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All, kind of a weird request, but I want to throw on some apes on my Road King, but not too sure what size (I was thinking some where between 12.5"-14" in the 1 1/4"). I'm 6'1" . So before I fork out some $ for something I'm not happy with could someone post some pics of their RK with apes?. Now here is the weird request, everyone posts pics of their bike with apes installed but none with them sitting on it.......I just want to see the relation between the bar rise and shoulder height. :D
Thanks

Hey Pete, you may also want to check with your local motor vehicle agency. Here in New Jersey, apes can't be anything more than shoulder high. Good luck!

Back