free website stats program Ape hanger/ z-bar questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Ape hanger/ z-bar questions

RideTheLightning

Hey guys, I am just digging in to DIY stuff and customization.

I am looking to take off my stock handlebars and put on some ape hangers or z bar apes.

What I am wondering:
-Will I need new cables for say 12" apes (6" pullback)?
-Would my stock speedo/ tach mount fit or should I try and find something else?

I think I remember reading that I could go UP TO a 12" rise with stock cables but I am not 100% sure, hence the questions.

BTW, the only stuff I have looked at online has been from Licks Cycles.

Thanks for any and all responses. :)

Ride,

I am not sure about the Sportster models but I doubt you will get more than a couple inches extra out of your stock wiring. Your cables will certainly need changing, they also are good for a couple inches but thats it. Check out these,

Wild 1 Chubby Handlebars.

Helpful folks and nice bars

Bodeen

Yes, you will definately need new cables. Your dealership or the company you buy the bars from should be able to tell you what size you need.

I don't have first hand knowledge of your specific speedo and tach set up but I'm sure you can find some type of mounting bracket that will work with the new bars.

Thanks for the info. :)

I thought I could get away with the stock cables.

My stock speedo/ tach looks similar to this (part # 67338-97 if it matters):

Tach-Kit-For-Sportster-R-Models_large.jpg

[I said:
RideTheLightning;407110]Perhaps I should just ask- what different handlebars could I use with the stock cables? Anything? :D
[/I]

The "pull back" bars off an 883L or 1200L should be ok but you would still need an extended brake line

Perhaps I should just ask- what different handlebars could I use with the stock cables? Anything? :D

I don't know about the sportster, but I went from stock Buckhorn's on my Dyna to HD Mini-Apes with no problems. Mini apes were standard on Dyna Wide Glides and Softail Customs for many years. They are very comfortable in my opinion.
And, follow torque specs. on the 5/16' bolts that clamp the bars in. I didn't and pulled the threads out of the risers. :( Had to drill out and retap to 3/8".

Last edited:
Back