free website stats program Anything special about going on trip | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anything special about going on trip

I have traveled cross country several times. You have received good advice from other forum members. One thing that I do is start early and end early. Gives me time for the swimming pool and cocktail hour.Once again get off your bike early, your lady will appreciate it.

Lots of great information and i thank everyone.Plan on making plenty of stops want it to be a great trip.We are both excited as this will be our first trip together on a bike,hopefully not our last so i will take the extra precautions.Thanks to everyone that helps make this a great forum

There is a ton of good advice here. If you have an Ultra or any HD with intercom capability, I would add the headsets and cords. My wife and I totally enhanced our touring abilities by adding the intercom. We turn the radio off and just talk throughout the trip. This helps keep us both alert and makes the miles fly by. Don't drink just water on your stops. We both are coffee hounds but when traveling, we only drink it for breakfast. When we stop during the day we sometimes will eat a banana and have a pint of Chocolate milk. Bananas are high in Potassium, which relieve muscle soreness, and chocolate milk has all kinds of nutrients in it to make you feel better. As far as not taking the trailer, we made that choice last summer when we went to Billings, MT. After making the trip-even during the trip, we wished the trailer was along. If you're stopping every one hundred fifty miles anyhow, you may as well take it. Gold Bond for your "self" and your boots. Enjoy your trip, and don't plan your schedule so tight that you cannot do any side trips you come across. A few years ago, we were towing our trailer through very rural Iowa when we saw a sign for the "Field of Dreams" farm. We are both baseball fans so we made an hour in our trip to go see it. It was only 3 miles out of the way. Have a ton of fun and ride safely.

Sledboy434; Enjoy your trip said:
Yes, you should see the sights.
Funny, I live 15 minutes away from "Field of Dreams" (Dyersville) and I was an extra in the movie, yet I've never "found the time" to make it back. Someday.....

If you're use to riding while pulling a trailer, I'd reconsider your decision to leave it behind. It'd lighten the load on the bike and give you extra space for stuff.
When I towed my trailer with my G'wing it made for a less top heavy bike and let us carry a small cooler bag for refreshments and snacks.
I'm getting my little 14 cu. ft. trailer back on the road this year for our trip. Just don't know which direction we're headed yet. We'll check the long range weather forecast the days before and decide then.

The sheepskin seat cover really helped to keep our rears cool and mostly sweat free.

Enjoy the ride.

We have only pulled the trailer a couple of times short distances,had a friend who drives truck he also rides a scoot advised against it he says he has seen several bikes in the median wrecked with trailers and that was all it took for the wife to say no trailer.So since this is a long trip for the two of us together we will leave the trailer behind this time.Hopefully before the next venture we can get some shorter trips in with the trailer and she would be comfortable with us pulling it

=================================================

We do have the smh10 wireless intercom and it is nice to have a conversation going down the road and it does have a mute feature lol

Last edited by a moderator:
We have only pulled the trailer a couple of times short distances,had a friend who drives truck he also rides a scoot advised against it he says he has seen several bikes in the median wrecked with trailers and that was all it took for the wife to say no trailer.So since this is a long trip for the two of us together we will leave the trailer behind this time.Hopefully before the next venture we can get some shorter trips in with the trailer and she would be comfortable with us pulling it

Understandable. Definitely not fun for her if she's not comfortable with the idea.

And my wife's the opposite. She wants us to take the trailer. Me thinks she has an alterior motive....like shopping.:newsmile093:

Don't over pack// we have a tendency to take to much STUFF! on these trips, plenty of hotels/motels have laundry facilities, so you can do clothes every 3-4 days worth, and if you forget an item,but it on road, even on the hottest days long sleeve white shirt, and sunblock your nose if exposed. have fun, plenty of picts, ohh yeah plan to make a lot of U-TURNS, :) as you will pass something you want to see, or take a pict of..:D

You all may think I am crazy talking about this topic but I learned this one over my first road trip this last memorial day weekend (500 miles one way).

Underwear! yes underwear.......standard briefs bunched up on the way down and hurt like crazy! I got some underarmor spandex boxer briefs for the ride home.....no seams so they don't bunch up! Problem solved!

Back