free website stats program Anything special about going on trip | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anything special about going on trip

Start your hydration the day before your trip, and if your not going to the restroom on a regular basis on your ride, you not drinking enough water. Have a safe ride.

Consider packing and shipping the clothing, shoes, wedding gift etc you need for the wedding to a relative, that way you do not need to pack it on the bike.

Take chargers for any devises you will take phone, i-pad etc. Charge them wherever you spend the night.

Plan ahead for the tolls and have your wife handle it, that way you are free to control the bike at the toll plaza's. Watch out for the grease and oil in the toll plaza, it can be real nasty.

Write down any phone numbers you really need, don't depend on the cell phone allways having them.

Maps even if you have a GPS?

Digital camera!

Most important, good attitude and have fun! :D

If you listen to everyone hear, you will need to take a truck. The hardest thing is deceiding what you do NOT need.

Good luck, have fun!

I will start by saying that you will have a great time on a long trip. Long trips are just magical.

In addition to the foregoing here are a few tips:

Take frequent breaks. Start before day break. I stop every 150 miles, hydrate, eat and fill the tank.

One of the spoiler is the rain. And you will encounter it. Slow down, keep extra distance . And be nimble with the brakes.

Be extremely careful on the ramps because ramps have the most oil. Read the ramp speed first and obey it.

BE very careful at the toll booths, gas stations ( Oil) as well as painted lines on the road ( painted lines have way less traction).

Try to avoid night driving because you never know when a deer decides to cross your path.

Monkey Butt is another trip spoiler. Harley has a special pad that sells for around 70. I found it very useful last year when I did 3200 miles.

Take a Naprosyn/ Tylenol with breakfast before you start the trip.

All the gear ALL the time. Mesh jackets from Joe Rocket are very good. The best IMHO is Aerostich Darien , Last weekend I did 350 miles in 98 degrees and I was OK in the Darien.

Enjoy

Zoom Zoom

Last edited:
the one major thing i would suggest. load the bike and test ride before you go. every pound you put on is another pound to steer and balance. remember the load triangle. between the axles and up to the top of your head. anything outside this area affects handling. load it up, load the missus, and ride around to get the feel of a loaded bike. stopping distance may increase so be aware of this early on. have a safe trip!

Here's an idea I started using when travelling out of country, but I now use when travelling anywhere away from home. Scan documents to computer any document including copies of your credit cards, drivers licence, insurance documents, medications and emergency contact info. Any document that you would normally take with you or might require while your away. Save documents as password protected pdf.file then e-mail them to yourself. Now anywhere you have access to the internet you will also have access to all you documents should they be lost or stolen. Have a great trip.

I carry an extra tour-pak lock.
I've had them come loose/off during a trip. Then the lid is held by only one lock and if that goes, you can lose the lid.
You don't know how far you might be from a Harley shop.
Carry an extra, they are small and cheap.
The screws are into pot metal so easy to lose.

It can get very hot and humid in NC toward the end of June so be prepared. If you can, visit the Blue Ridge Parkway for a great ride. Above all, be safe and enjoy the trip.
Ishmael

MAN,,,,, A lot of GREAT information given here... READ it ALL and did not see :

If you need to add a little OIL and it is Using a little oil,,, TAKE along an Extra QT. of your favorite..

I'd Top it up to below the Full Line 500/800 miles or so. It will like a Little New oil at that time.. "Just My Way",,,,Now if that X Oil Qt. was posted, I didn't see it..

I use Redline and it IS hard to fine when out..

NICE Easy, ADDICTING way to Travel..:D

signed....BUBBIE

I'll agree with smitty on passenger comfort. Be flexible on your stop intervals. Have her tap you on the shoulder if she wants a break, even if only 50 miles. Don't force her to go 150 if she needs a break sooner than that. You want to take every precaution that she wants to go on the next trip. If she is sore or exhausted, she may balk next time.

I'll agree with smitty on passenger comfort. Be flexible on your stop intervals. Have her tap you on the shoulder if she wants a break, even if only 50 miles. Don't force her to go 150 if she needs a break sooner than that. You want to take every precaution that she wants to go on the next trip. If she is sore or exhausted, she may balk next time.

VERY good point..

My wife and I took a day trip out to the Wa. coast. Down over the Mighty Columbia river into Oregon to Astoria, Across the 4.9 mile bridge.. Beautiful..

The complaint I have about my new bike is the GAS.... 6 Gals of fuel and the need to stop EARLY for a break.. I'm still getting used to the Big Gas Tank..

and my little tank..

Saturdays trip =450+ miles round trip and Both of us were tired out...

Wife took a Bee in her Bonnet and I had a quick pull over to get him out of her helmet.:bigsmiley40: Lucky no sting, Only bitting her ear.... She asked me IF I could see where it Bit her,,,, Laughing I said YES on the one ear that's BIGGER than the other....:newsmile100:

Darned If the bee didn't also steel her earring..

Next day I asked IF she wanted to go back and Look for the earring she smiled and said NO but I could IF I wanted to...

BOTH took Sunday off.:beach

signed....BUBBIE

Back