free website stats program Anything special about going on trip | Harley Davidson Forums

Anything special about going on trip

bigbubba402

My wife and I are going from Michigan to North Carolina the end of june for my neice's wedding,then back in a weeks time.Considered pulling a trailer but decided not to for our first long trip.Instead I opted for the tbag that straps on top of the tour pak.After reading about the monkey but I ordered 2 sets of the beads for the seats.I have joined HOG and there was alot about packing and what to take we got some frog togs,we both have cup holders so we can have water avalible.The bike will be serviced before we leave I do that myself is there anyting that i have overlooked or should be thinking about.Any sugestions is appreciated thanks.

I would say if you pay attention to fatigue, dehydration and use a good sun screen you will have a blast.
I don't know how much you currently ride (how many hours/trip) or what you consider a "long trip" but you may want to try a few longer rides before this one to get you both in "saddle shape" if you need it.
All depends on whether you are trying to make the trip in 1, 2 or more days.

Most of our trips have been under 200 miles and we are planning to do it in 2 days i'm a morning person so if we leave early in the morning and stop every 150 miles or so that would be a tank of gas then stretch or visit the local harley dealer i'm thinking we should be good

When we go on long trips we try to keep the heaviest things in the saddlebags vs. in the tour pack or up high. Generally travel with an extra kick stand spring, and bunch of 15 amp blue fuses just in case. We also carry a small set of jumper cables and obviously some tools.

Make sure your battery connections are tight and the tires are inflated to the proper levels. Check your rear shocks for the right air pressure if they are the air based ones.

How old is your battery?

Recommend bringing your cell phone charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter just incase you need to charge your phone on the road for whatever reason.

The biggest issue we have run into is call your bank and tell them not to turn off your cards while your on a trip, they see odd activity when you travel out of your norm and they turn them off if you dont notify them. Huge Pain, so also carry some cash just incase for gas or to get by.

Have a great trip :)

Thanks did not think about the kick stand spring or the bank very good info have the rest already to go thanks for the heads up about the bank never even considered that

Consider carrying a quality air pressure gauge. Accurate gauges may be difficult to come by and tire pressure is critical.

I recently got the bead seat cover thingy. I advise taking a few rides with it before your trip. My impression of the beads so far (3, 100+ mile rides) is they are not as comfortable as the bare seat when you start out. I can feel each bead. But I find that I can ride farther/longer before I start getting uncomfortable. And best of all, a dryer posterior at the end of the day.
And if you don't have to make an occasional stop for the bathroom, you are not drinking enough water. Dehydration causes mental mistakes, lapses. :( I also wear long sleeve shirts when I'm taking a long ride.

Last edited:
My only suggestions are, have fun, and be safe. Let us know how it went.

Bodeen

Most of our trips have been under 200 miles and we are planning to do it in 2 days i'm a morning person so if we leave early in the morning and stop every 150 miles or so that would be a tank of gas then stretch or visit the local harley dealer i'm thinking we should be good

Well, that sounds like you should should be fine. With what the others have stated her and what you can find in other posts you should have a great time. As far as the seat and getting comfortable, I tend to shift into a different spot every 15 minutes or so. This seems to push off the soreness till much longer. Once I get sore, it gets tougher to find a comfortable spot. I think the passager pad is better, but the passanger has less room to move around. If/when I stop to eat or drink, I don't sit down. Stand or walk. Walking is better.

Also, if you find your upper back or under your shoulder blade starting to hurt from having your hands extended, try this: put the back side of your hand in the middle of your back. Then, with your hand there, try and move your elbow forward and hold it for a stretch. Then reposition your hand a little higher and try it again. Then switch to the other arm. It is a stretch that really helps. Have a great trip!

Back