free website stats program Anyone tried this kind of oil cooler? | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone tried this kind of oil cooler?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I am more skeptic about this product.

To say it works good , just what does that mean.

For any efficient heat tranfere to take place there has to be some kind of thermal bonding to transfere the heat. This is just a slip on cover.

Next time you pull your radio, check out the heat sink .. That white goop between the transistor and the heat sink is a special silicon designed to transfere heat from the transistor to the heat sink. Without it, your amp stops working at higher volume. Also the more fins there are, the greater the cooling area.

This device might work at high speed , but at low speeds this is useless , the fins are just to small.

As decoration , I think its worth the price

Since you failed to try this product and test it you have no first hand knowledge of it at all,
and any opinions you have stated have no merit in fact and are useless to anyone on this forum.

I haven't used it personally but know a bud that has. It isn't as effective as an actual oil cooler. After noting temps with and without the collar installed on the filter, I wouldn't spend money to buy one, I would go with an actual oil cooler that is plumbed into the system. It made very little difference.

Yes, I use one and it works very good.

Can you offer anything as far as the temp differences here to substantiate your claim more than "it works good"? I would like to see how much it lowered your temps using this device. I didn't post my findings because I didn't think it was worth buying it IMO.

Glider - i was never under the illusion that this would work as good as a plumbed in model. But that's why it's 1/8 the price and only takes a few minutes to put on. Since we're talking about something that's merely an improvement, and not a solution to a huge problem, I thought it was interesting.

Dan - all your points may be valid but much of what I said to Glider still applies. Also, no cooler works as well at low speeds as higher speeds, no matter how big the fins. I repeat - it seemed to be a fairly inexpensive way to make an improvement to the operation of the bike. If I was 100% convinced that high oil temps alone were damaging my engine, I wouldn't hesitate to spring for an expensive model.

Glider - i was never under the illusion that this would work as good as a plumbed in model. But that's why it's 1/8 the price and only takes a few minutes to put on. Since we're talking about something that's merely an improvement, and not a solution to a huge problem, I thought it was interesting.

Dan - all your points may be valid but much of what I said to Glider still applies. Also, no cooler works as well at low speeds as higher speeds, no matter how big the fins. I repeat - it seemed to be a fairly inexpensive way to make an improvement to the operation of the bike. If I was 100% convinced that high oil temps alone were damaging my engine, I wouldn't hesitate to spring for an expensive model.

DR D

I agree with you about not working as good as the plumbed in model. It is an interesting concept (the collar), however there are many things that are designed to separate the consumer from their money that really are not an improvement so to speak. I just offered my opinion here as many do. The final decision to buy a product is up to the owner of the bike.

As far as what you stated..
"no cooler works as well at low speeds as higher speeds"
There's some truth to this but remember that in a stop and go situation, an oil cooler will lower the temps of the oil going into the situation so you would not see such a rise in temps during the period of sitting. Once moving again the temps would fall faster than without the cooler.
Again the higher oil temps leads to the break down of the oil which then can lead to engine problems from poor lubrication.

We all have different views on what works and what doesn't. I can only relate what I have found over the time of working on these bikes and If I find a product that I don't think works or is worth the money, I just try to relate that here.
I appreciate your reply.

If you look at a company like JC Whitney and browse through their catalogue, pretty much every product they sell will "increase your mileage by 5%" If any/all of this was true, there would be many cars on the road making gas that would spill out the filler neck while they drove along if everyone added each one of these products listed to their car and the gas companies would go out of business. Let's not even get into the pills that you add to the fuel tank that "rebuild your engine while you drive" (just an observation):s

Glider, as always you've hit the nail right on the head! You also brought up a great point I had totally forgotten about. The major harm that high oil temps do is the breaking down of the oil itself. Since I plan to go synthetic AND change my oils at a shorter interval than HD recommends, I'm probably just wasting brain cells worrying about this oil cooler issue!

To further confuse the issue here :D I think the proper oil cooler is a good idea to add IF it is needed depending on the riding conditions you encounter and the oil temps you see on your bike. Synthetic oils are a good choice to stand up to more heat than dino oils do before they brake down.I don't run an oil cooler because I don't need one with my type of riding otherwise I would add one.

Remember also that oil coolers really do something in stop and go traffic because of the extra oil in the system and the convection of the cooler unit itself while stopped. Not nearly as much as when you are moving but never the less some is better than none.

Back