free website stats program Anyone seen a bad ECM cause a speedo problem? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone seen a bad ECM cause a speedo problem?

Awesome approach to troubleshooting this bug. You have a Great plan. I agree the ECM does sound buggy. The fact you can re-IPL the ECM and it resets sure does point the finger at it.

Some day I am going to substitute the VSS with a signal generator just to have some fun....
In the meantime update us as you proceed with this challenge.

And the answer is...

Yes. I've now seen an ECM cause a speedo problem.

No surprise I suppose given the ECM's part most system functions on all of the newer H-D machines with all now being fuel injected. As I understand it, all models have used Delphi's ECM's for the last four or five years.

The service visit to my dealer last week showed that the tech's were able to easily reproduce the problem as described and the ease of the rolling reset. It was a real head-scratcher for them as the loss of speedo function never produced a stored diagnostic code for them and a bench test of the ECM showed it to be 100% okay. However a later swap out of an ECM from another Sporty resulted in nominal operation. That is, once swapped I could no longer reproduce the problem.

The dealer tech's said that H-D has its own internal technet for technicians to investigate/report unusual problems and this one would get posted. Also, Im told that Delphi are usually pretty interested in seeing these kinds of bugs as early on as possible and that I might get a replacement ECM out of it as Delphi may want to get their hands on mine. I'm hoping so as I also learned that the replacement cost for the ECM is about $600. Ouch! Now why is the main module for my car around half that amount?

I suppose that this closes this thread for now. I know the culprit although not the exact cause. Unfortunately there isn't a satisfactory fix for this short of the ECM replacement which is a high cost to pay for such a niggling problem on a machine that is otherwise running perfectly.

I'll report back later if I in fact get any H-D feedback on this. Otherwise, this will be my last post on the subject. Thanks to everyone that offered thoughts and suggestions.

Having the same problem with an 06 fxsti speedometer goes out idle control goes out ie. when i pull in the clutch and let off the throttle the engine dies and turn signal auto function stops working but bike still runs with no problems as long as i am going down the hi way. Went over the schematics for the past few days and everything that is malfuncting seems to eminate thru the ECM. I am hoping that this is where the problem is hate the high expence if it is 600 to replace but what choice is there lol kinda got ya over a barrel on this.

Just read that the voltage regulator might also be causing the problem guess i will check that out first to make sure dont like spending money if i dont have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haved the same problemes as you guys.Exactly the same sequence plus It's get wrost every day.
I ride a 2007 RG.Even my radio show ( error#1 or error#46 ) and did't work at all.
Before my appointement at the dealer, two week ago, I removed the D&D touring slip-on and removed the nightrider IED from O2 sensor and put the OEM muffler.

Since that time, I never see my speedo get fool, on/off again and two day after, my radio start working perfectly

GO FIGURE ???------------------------ the french guy from Quebec --------

Thanks guys for the input. I'm sorry to hear that you are having similar problems and really find it interesting dedecaster, that putting your oem pipes, etc. back on seems to have fixed the problem. It reminded me that my problem appeared just after installing SE slash downs on the bike but had no remapping done as am using the OEM air filter.

I had the bike back in for routine service a few weeks ago and the techs never did get any feedback on this from the HD internal technet, so must not be too common of a problem. Given the high cost for the ECM and ease by which I can reset the problem, I never did replace the module. Now it is about a year since I first started experiencing the problem and interestingly, I hardly ever have it happen any more. It's even getting difficult to force an event.

Go figure that one out.

Good morning

Last week, I put some SE slip-on, the one that came stock on SE Electra-glide.
(part#-66080-06B / 65913-06B).After 400 mil, right at the can/us border my speedo quit again for 10 minures and came back. I re-installe the OEM muffler again.

Before these episodes, I run the D&D slip-on and the O2IED for 15K M. and the only trouble was a remaining code 131/151 sensor leans.

These bikes are more intelligent than we think...

I can't think of a relationship of the mufflers to be causing the speedo to quit. I can think that your VSS may be associated with the speedo problem in any event which is a common problem that can come and go too.

Good morning

Last week, I put some SE slip-on, the one that came stock on SE Electra-glide.
(part#-66080-06B / 65913-06B).After 400 mil, right at the can/us border my speedo quit again for 10 minures and came back. I re-installe the OEM muffler again.

Before these episodes, I run the D&D slip-on and the O2IED for 15K M. and the only trouble was a remaining code 131/151 sensor leans.

You think of coincidence? Maybe your right.

In the tranny, I run SPECTRO synt. for 6 speed since 2 years.Two week before my speedo trouble, I change it with the same oil and I got almost nothing of metal shaving on the magnetic drain plug.The old oil after 15K.m. look brand new.Very good stuff.

So, I don't think the VSS will be clog or dirty if the mag. d.plug look this clean.

----- excuse me for my bad english ---------

I will agree with you. I did not deploy kickstand properly and bike went over. After righting bike when trying to start no dash indicaters. Ign dead. Noticed in odometer the word tip was showing and no start. Cycled key off for 10 sec then turned on. We then had ignition.

The problem remains have noticed it only occures when at lower speeds 40 or below. have just started pulling clutch in and turning off ignition for 10 seconds and switching it back on untill i can figure out what is causing the problem this seems to work as a short term solution.

Back