free website stats program Anyone Ridden this Bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone Ridden this Bike?

Drew

This is not meant to insight riots, or to be a "troll" kind of thread. But I have a friend who just got a 2008 BMW 1200rt (I think's that what it is... from the touring line, with bags, etc.) and he is raving about it. He comes from riding sports bikes, and has never owned a Harley, nor do I know that he's every ridden one. So, while he raves about his bike, and I rave about my Rk, we really don't have any basis for comparison, given neither of us have ridden the other bike.

In any case, has anyone out there ridden this model of BMW, and if so, any observations you'd care to share?

just interested
Drew

Ive never ridden that model but did have an airhead r100rt BMW tourer
did a full nuts and bolts restoration on it
very well engineered made of good quality parts handles well is ultra reliable good power plenty of carrying capacity etc etc
however seemed to be missing character

Brian

My brother in law had the BMW but sold it for a RK. I rode it once before he sold it and I really enjoyed the ride. They are nice bikes but, I don't think I'd ever buy one.

Nice ride especially in the twisties. Good power lots of revs. Very german bike. What does that mean? Very technology centered with outstanding engineering. Compact degign so that if yo have to work on something, you almost have to take the engine out to do it. Every space utilized. But as noted above, no soul. Just dependable transportation that if amintained, will run forever.

I'll stick with my old Ultra even with her 148k miles

Ride safe

Bubba

I rented one once in AZ. Was a great cruiser, smooth and fast, first bike I rode with cruise. It sits tall and is top heavy but once your moving it all goes away, it's more like a goldwing than a HD tourer. Was a nice ride but I agree with Bubba no soul.

Don't know about the newer Beemers, but I really liked the old school "airhead" models, one thing was they were very light (could practically pick up the rear with one strong pull of the grab bar light), but the seat height had me on my toes and self releasing kickstand was an accident waiting to happen.

Yes they rode and handled in a way that I never did want to buy one, guess it lacked riding character "feel", more like an upright standard motocycle with soft engine power and "springy, long suspension travel sensation" probably because me being 135lbs made the bike seem to pogo around when ridden hard.

My uncle owns one and loves it. He bought it brand new in 03 and has yet to have a problem. He was kind enough to let me take it for a spin a couple of years ago and I can't say enough about the ride. If you read up on the history of BMW, you will see that they did revolutionize the motorcycle industry after the war and they do have a great tradition. That being said, the new bikes don't have the character the older models have. JMHO.

Back