free website stats program Anyone put a lift table in the ground? | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone put a lift table in the ground?

AZDave

I have a 3 car garage but really no room for a lift table. I was thinking of cutting a rectangle hole the size of a lift table in the center of one of the parking spots. That way I can still pull a car in and just straddle the table. Then when I want to work on the bike I can install the wheel clamp and up she comes. I have a lift/jack now but after installing a chrome frontend at a friend’s house on his table I won’t one. I figured I would saw cut out the floor then frame and re-poor the cement just about the same size as say a Handy Lift. Has anyone done this already, if so do you have any pictures or suggestions?

No experience in this area but I think I can speak for many - we want pictures!

When you do this be sure to put some type of drain in it.

I had thought of doing that with my table. Living in Wisconsin I had to consider snow/salt mix melting off a warm car and settling into the recessed area. Possibly causing table major rust damage. Also my table is about 8" collapsed. I would have lost 8" of lift height. I decided to install winch in the ceiling instead. Raise lift to the ceiling and chain in place. Works really well. I have pics on here somewhere, under storage I think, but don't know how to add a link here.

Lifting up the lift is a very good idea - I think I'll have to look into something similar. My garage is shorter than yours, but I THINK I have room in the back - behind the open garage door.
Living in Norway, I also know what snow and salt is;) Wisconsin must be a bit like here, I belive many Scandinavians ended up there because it reminded them of home...

AZDave, if making a conventional drain out to the side of your garage is problematic, and if your foundation is gravel you could probably just drill a hole down through the concrete and place a strainer/net on top of it. Or, you could make the recess a bit larger, with a slight slope on the bottom, leaving sufficient space for removing any water manually. It shouldn't be much as I assume you don't need to consider melting snow...

Just a thought:
What about going the other way and putting in some "ramps" on both sides of the lift to drive the car onto?

Back