Anyone put a lift table in the ground?

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by AZDave, Nov 21, 2010.

1. AZDave

AZDave Active Member

I have a 3 car garage but really no room for a lift table. I was thinking of cutting a rectangle hole the size of a lift table in the center of one of the parking spots. That way I can still pull a car in and just straddle the table. Then when I want to work on the bike I can install the wheel clamp and up she comes. I have a lift/jack now but after installing a chrome frontend at a friend’s house on his table I won’t one. I figured I would saw cut out the floor then frame and re-poor the cement just about the same size as say a Handy Lift. Has anyone done this already, if so do you have any pictures or suggestions?

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

No experience in this area but I think I can speak for many - we want pictures!

3. AZDave

AZDave Active Member

I am going to do this in the spring oneway or another

4. Gezzer Glide

Gezzer Glide Active Member Contributor

Take some pics as you do it. I will be interesting to see how you go about it.:57:

5. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

When you do this be sure to put some type of drain in it.

6. 2000classic

2000classic Active Member

I had thought of doing that with my table. Living in Wisconsin I had to consider snow/salt mix melting off a warm car and settling into the recessed area. Possibly causing table major rust damage. Also my table is about 8" collapsed. I would have lost 8" of lift height. I decided to install winch in the ceiling instead. Raise lift to the ceiling and chain in place. Works really well. I have pics on here somewhere, under storage I think, but don't know how to add a link here.

7. 2000classic

2000classic Active Member

8. karlsbike

karlsbike Active Member

Lifting up the lift is a very good idea - I think I'll have to look into something similar. My garage is shorter than yours, but I THINK I have room in the back - behind the open garage door.
    Living in Norway, I also know what snow and salt is;) Wisconsin must be a bit like here, I belive many Scandinavians ended up there because it reminded them of home...

AZDave, if making a conventional drain out to the side of your garage is problematic, and if your foundation is gravel you could probably just drill a hole down through the concrete and place a strainer/net on top of it. Or, you could make the recess a bit larger, with a slight slope on the bottom, leaving sufficient space for removing any water manually. It shouldn't be much as I assume you don't need to consider melting snow...

9. AZDave

AZDave Active Member

Thanks guys for the tips, and yes here is AZ we do not get much snow.

10. Porter

Porter Junior Member

Just a thought:
    What about going the other way and putting in some "ramps" on both sides of the lift to drive the car onto?