free website stats program Anyone here ever trimmed a windshield? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone here ever trimmed a windshield?

Im gonna add to the tip about cutting the bottom. You will be cutting off your mounting holes. Instead of re-drilling new ones. I use a soldering iron to melt new through holes in the windshield. The soldering iron anneals the edges. Leaving no chance for spider cracks around the holes. Much better than drilling.

zoood

Im gonna add to the tip about cutting the bottom. You will be cutting off your mounting holes. Instead of re-drilling new ones. I use a soldering iron to melt new through holes in the windshield. The soldering iron anneals the edges. Leaving no chance for spider cracks around the holes. Much better than drilling.

zoood

Great idea, less chance of cracking or drill bit walking Thanks Zood:D

If you trim the windshield yourself , you can cut it in 2 stages and avoid removing too much. You would be amazed at how what 1/2 to 1 inch can do in increase buffetting around the head and eyes.
If you take it to a dealer and they recommened removing 2 inches and its to much, you need a new wind shield.

I cut mine in 2 stages, went for a ride and decided I need more removed. The second cut was too much. Too many bug hits around the eyes. OOPs - new wind shield.

I was more carefull with the second one.

I trimmed mine with a jig saw as well, I traced the curve on a peice of cardboard cut the cardboard put blue tape on the windshield and traced the curve using the cardboard template at the height I want it cut then cut along the line, this way the curve was close to the factory's

I taped off the cut line with masking tape
Put the shield back on the bike and rode it to check the height.
Sanded it down on a belt sander, the plastic never even got warm.
Finished with 280 wet sand.
Perfect, no cracks.

I taped off the cut line with masking tape
Put the shield back on the bike and rode it to check the height.
Sanded it down on a belt sander, the plastic never even got warm.
Finished with 280 wet sand.
Perfect, no cracks.

Dr Evil was that a lot of sanding?:D

Back