free website stats program Anyone have any Auto Train experiences? | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone have any Auto Train experiences?

ImaRider

The end of August I am taking a trip (somewhere not sure yet of destination) but I am not sure of which compass point direction. I thought about taking the Auto Train from Va. to Fla. I wondered how they handle your bike and if any have had any damage to theirs?

I have not ridden the "Crazy Train" myself. I have several good friends who have. No issues with the bikes at all. If you want to rest on the ride down get a deluxe sleeper.

the auto train is fantastic and a great experience. we have done it twice and its relativly cheap for what you get. they load the bikes on a dolly, put them on the train and the rest is nothing but a great time. you really don't need a sleeper because the seats are roomy and comfortable. the food is great and included in the ticket price and you meet alot of great people. all i can say is if you have the time go for it and enjoy the trip

the auto train is fantastic and a great experience. we have done it twice and its relativly cheap for what you get. they load the bikes on a dolly, put them on the train and the rest is nothing but a great time. you really don't need a sleeper because the seats are roomy and comfortable. the food is great and included in the ticket price and you meet alot of great people. all i can say is if you have the time go for it and enjoy the trip

When you say "dolly" what exactly are we talking about? Having any damage to my bike due to the motion of the train is my biggest concern. The price of the ticket is really a great saver when you think about how much longer the ride down there would take and the cost of it. With the price of gas,food, and lodging this train is a winner. The plus is when I get there I am refreshed and ready to ride on to further points. I am planning to ride all the way back home on the return though.

I don't think we have those in my part of the country. is it just like Amtrak or something, and they will haul a bike also?
Brian
(LOL, i just noticed OP name, kinda ironic, LOL)

I don't think we have those in my part of the country. is it just like Amtrak or something, and they will haul a bike also?
Brian

Auto Train only runs from Sanford Florida to Lorton Virginia and back.

Bodeen

Brian

I see the humor but time is my concern here. I can board the train at 4 PM in Va. and be in Florida at 9AM the next morning. That would give me a few days to ride around the area before I had to head back home.
I could perhaps choose a closer place to visit for the allowed time I have. I haven't seen Florida yet and just thought it would be nice to see with the train as it is. I am still looking for destination options.

At one time you had to furnish your own tie downs but they will tell you when you get reservations. August is the hottest month in Florida. If you are not locked into the date I would come in October but your choice and have a good time.

At one time you had to furnish your own tie downs but they will tell you when you get reservations. August is the hottest month in Florida. If you are not locked into the date I would come in October but your choice and have a good time.

Although for those of us in Fla. Virginia mountain riding is looking good this time of year. BRP and anywhere in the western part of Va.

Bodeen

I see the humor but time is my concern here. I can board the train at 4 PM in Va. and be in Florida at 9AM the next morning. That would give me a few days to ride around the area before I had to head back home.
I could perhaps choose a closer place to visit for the allowed time I have. I haven't seen Florida yet and just thought it would be nice to see with the train as it is. I am still looking for destination options.

In 17 hours, you can be to almost anywhere in Florida (except for the keys of course) that you can get to from Va by riding. I don't know where you are planning on going, but with a name like ImaRider, the train seems like second best. Now if you want to rest and be in Florida the next day, thats a different story.

Back