Anyone have a baker tranny?

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by jmackd1, Jul 12, 2010.

1. jmackd1

jmackd1 Member

Thinking about putting a baker 6 speed transmission in mine and wondering if anyone has had any experience with these transmissions...

Thanks,

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Very good units from what I hear only. They give you a choice of gear ratios when you purchase.

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Is it possible to install the 7 speed or is that only for later bikes?
    I would love to have that "granny" 1st gear ratio.

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Overkill IMO.:D

Next there'll be 8 and 9 speeds too.

5. alpo2591

alpo2591 New Member

don't know about you guys, but I just finished putting in my heritage softail , a 6 speed
    ULTIMA tranny, the gears are alot thicker than revtech or harley-davidson, it came in a different tranny case , but you can modify it to fit in any standard 5 speed gear case.

6. jmackd1

jmackd1 Member

Thanks for the input, my local builder will install it free if I buy the Baker, about $2500 installed, may give it a shot...

7. 59Panhead

59Panhead Member

You have 2 choices! A DD6 or a OD6! DD6 "Direct Drive" is still a 1 to 1 6th gear the OD-6 is a true over drive and 6th gear is a .86 reduction ! Both trannys are great best after market tranny out there period! Now is this shop installing a Bakers Builders Kit into your tranny case or is he installing a complete new Baker Tranny?

We have a few of these Trannys in some very High Horsepower Bikes and there simply the best! and I have there 6 into 4 OD6 in a old Panhead.....and now that bike can cruise @65-70 all day

The other thing I like about Baker is the outer finish options you can pick, and you can run either a pulley or 'chain' final drive and a bunch more!

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Careful Boss, Bubbie wasnt happy the first time I mentioned the 7 speed Baker :khee

9. harleypr

harleypr Account Removed

I think the lower 2 at least and maybe first three gears are lower than Harley's gearing. My Deluxe is my first Harley and first gear it too tall, no doubt, no argument. My brother-in-law in Couer d"Alene has a 7 speed Baker in his 07 and it has the acceleration of a 110. You get two benefits, the correct gearing that Harley should have designed in the first place and because of the lower gearing quicker acceleration. I forgot you get a third benefit, since this unit was designed by a transmission engineer I believe only 1st gear is attached to the main shaft and because of the reduced mass compared to the Harley the clunk is almost eliminated. If you have a friend who has one take it for a spin and you will pull out your stock one and put in a Baker, they are that good.:D

10. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

What is surprising is 59Panhead provided more information than the potential buyer can find on the Baker website...! Why these guys don't have a short list pdf helping to find the exact model or configurator to help select desired application or cross reference to make ordering up what you want quick and easy, maybe a measurement guide to zero in on the application. They should also have an applications and service notes section or detail special measurement/fitment issues, while talking up benefits of theirs' over the competition...at least more than they do. It is a great product reading and hearing from those who have them fitted.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010