free website stats program Anyone ever had to lay their bike down? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone ever had to lay their bike down?

This thread brings a bad memory back of when I went down, We were in a group of about 8 bikes up in Pennsylvannias backroads, I remember I was the 3rd bike and we were going thru a pretty tight curve in the road by the way clearly marked but I was a little too fast into the turn, amazing how you start to run out of road pretty fast in a turn when things begin to head south, anyway at some point I knew I couldnt save myself and not really ever remembering made the decision to launch myself off the bike, next I remember is hearing stones hitting my helmet as I was sliding on a stony side of the road and I saw my bike ahead of me sliding to a stop, I remember thinking at that very moment there goes $20000.00 Actually I had a few more thoughts but I dont want to get in trouble with Glider!!! I think I was very lucky that day not to be more hurt than I was, I had some scrapes, my neck hurt a little, my half gloves were destroyed, shirt ripped, The bike faired pretty well, crash bars were bent, handle bars bent, small dent in the lower part of the fender, and lastly the underside of the mufflers had small dents in it from the rocks that hit it, after the group helped me up and then picked my bike we were talking and the rider ahead of me said he saw what happened and saw some of the mistakes I made, aside from being too fast:rider:rider:rider the major one being instead of looking thru where you want to go I was fixated on the fast approaching guard rail, Since this experience I have continually practiced looking up ahead and thru a turn I learned and have read how the bike goes where your eyes are heading, It also put a fear in me that I sometimes wish I could shake off, but probaly makes me a more watchful and safer rider, and has also slowed me down a little.

Back