free website stats program Anyone else have Harley chrome issues? | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone else have Harley chrome issues?

Jdsmitty10

My 07 deuce has bubbling chrome on the upper triple tree. it also has a couple bubbles on the chrome controls and buck shot mirrors are flaking real bad.
Any easy/cheap ways to cover this until i tear them off and get them re-chromed? Is there chrome touch up of some sort out there?

I think whoever owned it before me stored it somewhere damp..

Are the bubbles still sealed or is there a crack or pinhole in the chrome bubble. I was at the dealership the other day and I saw some bubbled chrome on a brand new bike. It was in a hidden spot underneath the outside primary cover but it was there. There were 2 or 3 large bubbles maybe 3/16"-1/4" in diameter. Just a defect in the chroming process that made it out the door. You can not correctly touch up chrome. You can hide it but you can't touch it up like a paint scratch. Chrome should not de-laminate from the substrate.

More than likely it was a cheap chroming job. Chrome needs to be done with multiple copper coatings and prepped , checked for imperfections and buffed between them, then nickle then the chrome is applied all after the metal is properly prepped to start with.
Somewhere along the line one of the steps were missed and it caused the bubbles.

Like Glider said, a cheap chrome job. It could also have been parked near swimming pool chemicals like in a garage. Those chemicals will eat up chrome if both are stored near each other.

I have a buddy that lives outside MephisTenn that has given me his chrome. Man it is a sin that Harley charges so much for this stuff. He has given me mirrors, floor boards and highway pegs and shifter pegs and brake pedal pad, The chrome is all peeling. To bad that this stuff is Harley and not Snap-on, cause Snap-on has a life time warrant for chrome
kemo.

so basically, harley charges an arm and a leg for chrome parts or even a Deuce with chrome forks, and after 3 years its peeling...ridiculous..

so basically, harley charges an arm and a leg for chrome parts or even a Deuce with chrome forks, and after 3 years its peeling...ridiculous..

Hopefully if a problem does exist, it is recognized and corrected. Also it is very possible that different chroming vendors are used for different parts so the rest of your bike can be perfect and you wont have any more issues.

The part that hurts is even if the problem does get fixed, it does not help people like yourself who have some bad samples and your out of warranty.

Snap-on has a life time warrant for chrome
kemo.

Your right about that. Snap-On must have 1 advanced chroming process. Even though the flanks (part that contact bolt) of the sockets are not chrome, I have never seen peeling at the transition point of chrome to no chrome even after decades of use.. They have it down to a science.

Last edited by a moderator:
The triple tree and the mirrors were like that when i bought it. But i just noticed the chrome control on one side bubbling yesterday... I plan on redipping the triple tree eventually, the mirrors i haven't decided yet, might paint the area that is chipping black, which is the indented area with holes, if your familiar with the buckshot mirrors.

If it were my bike, I would be on the phone to Harley. They should stand behind their chrome, especialy for the price they charge. Harley has strict standards to insure their plating lasts.

If it were my bike, I would be on the phone to Harley. They should stand behind their chrome, especialy for the price they charge. Harley has strict standards to insure their plating lasts.

I would, but I am sure they would laugh at me considering I am not the original owner of the bike. I sure they would give a hard enough time to someone who bought thier bike new..

Back