free website stats program Anybody know the Life span of a battery? | Harley Davidson Forums

Anybody know the Life span of a battery?

muttlange

08 Deluxe Switch Got left on. I tried Jumping it off But No luck. I've hooked it up to a battery tender and it finally is Taking a Charge. Lights a Security Works But NO CRANK YET......:51: :newsmile08: :bigsmiley33:

Thanks
MüTtLaNgE

If you get 4-5 years , you're doing good. Once a battery has been discharged significantly, it takes away from the lifespan of the battery.

LOL! If you can put a "for sure" life-span on a battery, you'll be the 1st person in history to be able to claim that distinction.
There are so many variables that come into play it boggles the mind. Couple that with the choices of..Lead Acid, AGM, Gel Cell, Lithium, Etc..Etc.
I just retired a lead acid OEM from my pick up this year..it was 13 years old...and the reason I retired it... I was in fear it was going to die out in the middle of nowhere, and leave me stranded.
Conversely, I have had batteries short between cells and die when less than 6 months old.
Best advice....buy good batteries, treat them according to the manufacturers recommendations, employ good maintenance and operating practices, and take your chances.
Oh, and Mutt....don't forget...it takes at least 9 volts to power the ECM reliably and allow the bike to start.

Last edited:
i know im treading water but my 01 still has factory battery on it no problems yet. only put tender on in winter when stored

My Road King had the original battery up to the time I sold it a year or so ago. I got 7 years out of it. I replaced it for I knew my brother would probably never put a tender on it etc... You know when you sell anything to relatives, stuff goes bad. Anyway, Glider is right in that batteries should be replaced after 4 or 5 years, . . . get a new one for insurance. It seems when they die, they die like "right now" and at the most inconvenience time. :D
Ugly John

" It seems when they die, they die like "right now" and at the most inconvenience time."

John, You are 100% correct!

08 Deluxe Switch Got left on. I tried Jumping it off But No luck. I've hooked it up to a battery tender and it finally is Taking a Charge. Lights a Security Works But NO CRANK YET......:51: :newsmile08: :bigsmiley33:

Thanks
MüTtLaNgE

Worste thing you can do to a modern battery is jump it.I know sometimes its needed but its not good.Todays batteries contain very little water and jumping them removes what little water there is.

Back