free website stats program Any tips for removing "Batwing Fairing" | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Any tips for removing "Batwing Fairing"

Can you replace the headlight bulb with out removeing the outside Fairing ? And I need to clean the milky haze from the iside of the glass...

What you have is a normal condition. My 2008 has both spots and headlight hazy. Even with fairing removed I do not know how well you can clean inside of assembly for the only hole is where bulb is. Fairing needs removed to replace bulb.

You do not need to take the fairing off to replace the bulb. Take the trim ring off, 1 screw on the bottom of the ring, then there will be 2 or 3 more screws to remove the light, I think. Memory is failing right now. Just make sure not to remove the screws that adjust the light direction.

You will LOVE the 80/100 bulb

View attachment Headlamp Removal.pdf

See attached for removal instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call HD4ME...hope his 04 Ultra has the same setup...would save a lot of time and trouble!

The easiest is still to remove the 7 screws and take the outer fairing off.That way you don't mess with headlight alignment.
For the haze,when you have the bulb out pour in some rubbing alchohol and swish it around,then pour it out and let the rest evaporate.If you don't want to wait take a hair dryer on medium and aim it in the bulb hole.1 minute later it will be dry.Then insert the bulb and you are done.Just a reminder,don't touch the bulb with your fingers.The oil from your skin will greatly reduce the life of the bulb.

+1
You end up have better control handling headlight globe and less chance of damage.

I did the rubbing alcohol clean like Steve suggested on my headlight. It is nice and clear, now I need to do the driving/passing lamps.

remove the light bezel with 1 phillips head screw at bottom its kinda spring loaded lift up & out you will see 4 torx head screws on the outer edge that hold the head lamp bucket in take those out and the hole assembly will come out just unplug ,no need to take off fairing or mess with adjustment screws

The alcohol trick works like a charm. I have some long needle nose pliers that I use to swish a really soft cloth with the alcohol on it inside the clear lens and on the reflector. It does take a while for the alcohol to dry. Thanks for the hair dryer tip!

Thanks for all the tips... I will be tearing into it first thing in the am...new headlight bulb, and brake light conversion kit...going to give her the once over and a little wax and polish here and there.. check water in the battery... and if if gets up to about 60* on Wensday a little ride ........till dark of course, so I can see how the new bulb works...

Back