free website stats program Any suggestions? | Harley Davidson Forums

Any suggestions?

gator508

Experienced Member
Yesterday, I installed new grips, chrome switch housings, switch covers, chrome handlebar clamps, brake and clutch levers, and master cylinder cover. Looks great but... the bike would not start nor would the fuel pump prime when I activated the start/run switch. Removed the seat and looked at fuses, the ignition fuse and accessories fuse were smoked which leads me to believe I have pinched a wire or wires and have shorted something. The game plan is to take it all back down and inspect the start/run switch first and go from there.
Any suggestions from the pros would be most helpful. Thanks!

ps: I'll post pics once I get it running

I'm certainly not a pro but my only suggestion would be to start with the easiest parts to disassemble and carefully inspect each component as it comes off. Then you can stop when you find the problem. No need to take off EVERYTHING and make yourself work harder than necessary!

Be sure you have the battery disconnected while installing and assembling, good time to have it recharging. Only a brief little touch of metal across contacts will blow the fuses. I assume you tried just installing new fuses and they blew also? Almost always going to be the most akward, tighest fit piece that is your problem, life just works that way.

Dr Do, Cossak;

Thanks for the quick replies, I am packing and getting ready to start, electrical tape, spare fuses, multimeter, and patience. I will start with the easiest first, I do believe the major problem is the start/run switch, not sure about the accessories fuse blowing. The battery is disconnected, now, I should have done it earlier before starting the replacement. I did try replacing fuses and they blew immediately, so that tells me there is a short for sure. I'll keep posting about progress. Thanks again!
Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho its off to the garage we go!

I would start with the side that has the start button,. If i had to take a shot in the dark, i would say you pinched a wire under the clamps, easy to do.

Also, did you change the bars, or is the wires run internally?

Dr Do, Cossak;

Thanks for the quick replies, I am packing and getting ready to start, electrical tape, spare fuses, multimeter, and patience. I will start with the easiest first, I do believe the major problem is the start/run switch, not sure about the accessories fuse blowing. The battery is disconnected, now, I should have done it earlier before starting the replacement. I did try replacing fuses and they blew immediately, so that tells me there is a short for sure. I'll keep posting about progress. Thanks again!
Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho its off to the garage we go!

Very likely gonna be a pinched wire on your right side where the switch housing clam-shells meet. I would start with that side. Look for the obvious burnt wire, but your fuse may have gone before too much damage done to the wiring, so look very carefully. If you have a needle probe for your DVOM, it will help you find wires that are grounded that should not be!! Make sure you have the wiring diagram out of your manual to help you sort out what is what.

TQ

Got her back up and running, what a relief. Didn't want to take her to HD, too many $$.
TQ, you were correct, there was a pinched wire on the start/off button harness caught between the housing clamshells. Got a bit of liquid metal and some electrical tape, was very careful to make sure the harness was not pinched this time, and she fired right up.
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions, gave me the boost I needed to "do it myself"

Her's the pics, ya'll like?

Attachments

• the approach.jpg
    the approach.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 43
  • the getaway.jpg
    the getaway.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 49
Back