Any Noticeable Difference in a K & N Aifilter

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by lionsm53, Oct 17, 2009.

1. lionsm53

lionsm53 Banned

I know that K & N airlfilters last a lifetime. That's a given. I'm just wondering if that there is any noticeable difference between the stocker and the K & N as far as performance or possibly better gas milage on a fuel injected glide? Anyone know or have any first hand experience, between the 2?

2. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

If you are talking the K&N put into the stock box,no difference in performance.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Replacing the stock air filter with the same size (height) K&N shows little improvement. The most improvement comes from the taller stage 1 filter that is about 2 1/2" tall. The intake flow is increased, add to that some better exhaust and you can increase the output of the engine.

CFM ratings of Air Filters - Harley Davidson Community

4. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I gotta agree with Steve
    kemo

5. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

the one that fits in stock box no performance increase ya can feel .. just a lot better filter

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Just a better filter

7. HarryB737

HarryB737 Junior Member

I replaced my stock Air Filter with a K&N, for a couple of reasons. After seeing the filter media of both filters first hand I think the K&N will breath better, and second I like the ability to clean & reuse the K&N. My bike seems to run better after I made the change... IMO.

8. Drumrguy

Drumrguy Account Removed

IMHO, you are not going to get any better performance just by putting in a K&N filter, I will say I think it is a better filter than a stock filter, but you probably will not feel a power difference just by changing it.

9. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

If size wise is comparable, difference between new filters would be minimal at best, as the a/c housing/airbox is the restricting factor when bike is new that it was tuned to at the factory. That said, if you increase the volume of airflow by physically changing the a/c housing or airbox size...the airflow changes in direction and volume will be the primary driver for actual performance, not necessarily the filter media...