free website stats program Any info on this bike please!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Any info on this bike please!!

helimech

I traded a truck for a 1997 custom Hardtail Harley. Never owned a Harley, but have owned other bikes. I don't know what it is, what size engine, tranny, etc. The Engine and tranny are seperate, has the big belt on the left side. It only has a kick starter and just found out it has a S&S engine with 11:1 compression which would explain why kick starting it is crazy scary.

Please and check out the pics. It is
World Wide Web .thesladefamily.org/Harley.htm

Things I would like to know:

What kind of tranny,year and type? Can I add an electric starter? Can I upgrade the clutch setup?

Any other tidbits of info/wisdom from you experienced Harely riders would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Could be a Flyrite, Sucker Punch Sally or Boneshaker manufactured bike. All of them use S&S engines as an option for their customers. Look on your Pink/Reg. and it should say who the maker is.

Thanks

I reposted some more pic's on the website, I had in my original email, basically come close ups so scroll down. I have to get a starter. It runs strong and scary fast, but kickstarting it takes your life in your hands.
My question; Where would you mount an electric starter on this bike? Anyone?

pics

rttrans2.JPG

rttrans.JPG

lfttrans.JPG

Please read this post in regards to picture size...

Picture Posting Size - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gary...

I downloaded the manual, but it does not show a belt drive. I have searched the net high and low on where the (edit) you mount an external starter. Front of tranny? Back of tranny? You are saying inside the belt drive itself. I don't see where I would bolt it too. I am even thinking about compression releases, but they want you to remove the jugs to be drilled and tapped. Can you buy replacement transmissions that have a starter built in or on them?

Thanks in advance..

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like a mixture of S&S and factory parts.The easiest way to install a starter would be to replace the entire primary with one that comes with a starter.Like this oneThe biggest problem is finding the right one to use.You'd be better off paying a shop to do it unless you're capable of telling the supplier exactly what you need.If there's any doubt just pay someone you trust.You'll be wiring and installing switches along with the primary install.

This is not a job for anyone so be carfull find out what belt drive you have and get a inner plate and a strong mini starter dosn,t look like alot of room under your oil bag then get the remote starter switch for your starter then you dont need to wire the bike just reach down and push it in put make sure on cluch alienment ,jel

Really nice looking bike! I'd be scared of it (1) kick starting, youch! and (2) open belt, I could see me getting my leather, foot or pant leg caught up in it. Really cool bike though...

it looks like a "stock 4 speed kicker" major pain to convert it but can be done with parts and bucks. Personally I like kickers.. that being said if you decide to convert it make sure you get a high torque starter cause an S&S with 11 plus compression will wear out a stocker in a hurry. If I were you I'd bring it to TDC hit the switch and jump :D

Congrats on your new bike. Looks like a very nice ride.

It's probably registered as a custom/special construction bike due to the mismatch components. What you really want to ensure is the title matches your frame number, or the number that the DMV has given it and stamped on your bike. I would try to get receipts for major components (frame, engine, tranny).

OK, after all the paperwork is good. Here's what I see in the pic: S&S lower bottom with Harley OEM Evo top end (cylinder up). 5 speed tranny with kickstart (like the early Evo year- 85 FXWGs). Front end is FLH Shovel (notice the left side banana brake). Maybe a Puagho rigid frame. Shovel seat. Jaybrake and forward food controls.

I'd question the 11:1 compression because most folks who would build that would put in a comp release and electric starter. Got papers to prove the motor was build with the specs you think it is.

Others have given you suggestion on putting on an eletric starter.

Good luck.

DS

Back