free website stats program any down side to abs | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

any down side to abs

It was posted here that there was supposed to be a DL .. so i asked the dealer when it was in for the throttle DL and he said sure enough there was and they did it .. only applies to 08 and some 09's

I've never had mine go off. Granted I've only got 1800 miles on it, and haven't had to make a huge panic stop yet. Some hard stops yes, but not a panic stop. Haven't even stood on em to see what its like.

I dont doubt it will be pretty much like cars.. I draw the line at airbags on my bike

I dont doubt it will be pretty much like cars.. I draw the line at airbags on my bike

Hay we came up with a air bag for the bike last weekend. used 1 of those butt tubes, put it in a black helmet bag and wala made the wife her own air hawk, total cost under $10.00, sure beats the $150.00 for the real macoy

It was posted here that there was supposed to be a DL .. so i asked the dealer when it was in for the throttle DL and he said sure enough there was and they did it .. only applies to 08 and some 09's

I originally posted it as I read it online and later confirmed with my dealer. I have yet to do it although my 09 does qualify as it was an early model. The debate goes on. If you are an extremely experienced rider with lots of braking paractice and skills you may be able to stop fractionally faster. If you are like most of us, the ABS will be good for you. I have had it both ways and it is hands down best for me. But then I have only been riding for 30 years. LOL!:s

I see a lot of people on here have abs brakes, is this a no brainer to order on a new bike or is there a down side to abs?

Like any new technology there are downsides, though many are not insurmountable...
1) cost, adds about $800 (even if imbedded in the sticker if standard equipment) but countering that is once more bikes are equipped the cost will go down,

2) complexity, more things to go wrong, troubleshoot and fix, as well as fewer shops are equipped to service it and aftermarket support products are not yet available so expensive to repair

3) possible misuse/lack of driver education not withstanding, if the rider is unexperienced using it, may fail to work properly when that emergency stop is really required. If work is done associated with the ABS hardware, (such as aftermarket mods added) could damage or make ABS feature ineffective or inoperable without the end user's knowledge.

+1 on ABS. My '09 is the first bike I have had with ABS. Initially - I was NOT impressed. It kicked in on several "light duty stops". I freaked a little with the pulsing (and probably screwed up the effect of ABS by freaking out).

10K miles later - I won't own another bike without ABS. It works. Very well.

Back