free website stats program Any Chemist Out There? | Harley Davidson Forums

Any Chemist Out There?

HDDon

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I have been researching the effects of ethanol on gas milage and performance and have found a product that seems to counter the effects of alcohol loss, which happens quite readily. The alcohol loss lowers the octane rating of the fuel. This product called Star Tron is put out by Starbrite a company with many products for the marine industry. Take a look at their web site, Star brite - Manufacturer of Cleaners, Polishes, Oils, Brushes, Bungees and Tiedowns Products For Automobiles, Marine and RV's
and tell us what you think.

Ya I put star tron enzyme in one of my bikes this fall and put 200 miles on it before I put it up for the winter to see if it had any ill efects on it, it seemed to be fine, hard to tell with the cold air power wise, but it was good enough so I put it in my other two bikes for a stabilizer. It's suppose to keep E10 gas from separating, we'll see when Daytona comes.:D

Don't know about the star tron but additives like stabil form a micro layer on top of the fuel to slow evaporation. Gasoline in and of it self is prone to evaporation the ethanol is just a component that suffers along with the rest of the fuel. as the fuel evaporates, it leaves the concentration of the solids increase in percentage and so forth and so on.

But, I got to find me some of them magic magnets. I heard it was an extra one hundred horsepower for every one you put on.

The magnets are great, but make sure you don't put them on backwards. The little ions in your gasoline get all confused and start swirling around aimlessly, and in severe cases they refuse to enter the combustion chamber, thus causing your bike to run badly, if at all.

Not a Chemist but they have 15% Ethanol available in GA now and the Bike spit and sputtered until got another 100 miles on it and topped with an independent that has no ethanol and smoothed out .. While never had any real problems with 10%... 15% is a 50% increase and hope that this does not come about as the norm as have read the EPA is considering it ..

Thanks Jason, I live in north Fl and sometimes ride up into Ga. I'll have to keep a lookout for the 15% stuff.:newsmile055:

Only once have I put any additive in my gas, in any motor I own. This year I decided to try Seafoam in my EVO to get rid of some of the carbon. 1oz per gallon for two tanks and my petcock started to leak. Pulled it apart and the rubber gasket was like jello. I doubt it was the gas since it's been on the bike for awhile. You can keep all those additives, I'll keep my money.

Doug

Back