free website stats program Anti Seize | Harley Davidson Forums

Anti Seize

hobo55

There are almost as many choices for anti seize as there is for oil.
What type for the wheel axle ? Manual and forum search just say anti seize, but ther's silver, copper, nickle etc.

I use copper for all applications and have never been let down

Brian

Anti-seize pt#80078, is all I use for everything I do,and its good up to 1800°.

The bottle is silver and so is the product, dont know if theres any actual silver in it.Its one of the things ya cant remember,like using Clover lapping compound and Marvel Mystery Oil..it works.

Really dont have a clue why they make so many and dont care, this has served me well for 39 somewhat years of professional wrenching.

The copper stuff is really good but getting harder to find here in the states. That being said I have never really had an issue with the silver.

Bodeen

The silver that I use is a nickel compound. Never had a problem and I use it on sparkplugs and axels.

Most of the data I've read said to use Nickel Anti-Seize under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature (up to 2400*F), and with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys or joining dis-similar metals.

For joining steel to steel etc and normal engine heat, copper is fine.

Jegs used to sell both, but tonight when I checked they only had copper. But they do sell a competive amount compared to what I've seen local.

Here's a link for $8 for 4 ozs.
JEGS Performance Products 28005 JEGS Anti-Seize Lubricant

Good old fashoined Vaseline petroleum jelly works well for high temps as well as low temps. I use it on everything from spark plugs to brake adjusters and have never had a problem.It is temperature and water resistant and inexpensive.

Good old fashoined Vaseline petroleum jelly works well for high temps as well as low temps. I use it on everything from spark plugs to brake adjusters and have never had a problem.It is temperature and water resistant and inexpensive.

Hmm, well for sure that are many facets to this scenario and vaseline is quite versatile. I've used it coat cylinders while I had the heads off to prevent rust formation. Especially on installing new rings since I've read that assembly lube (which is basically the viscosity of STP oil additive if you can remember that) has such a strong adhesion and viscosity that it can interfere with the rings seating. I have no idea if that's the case but according to the guy that wrote the article he actually had a problem like that.

And there could be some insulative residue of the vaseline left in the anareobic areas of the threads that do in fact as Steve07 said. So I am not disputing what he has found to work for anti-seize. But I would like to point out that vaseline has a very low melting point, around 99* F. Some engine builders will stuff a bunch of it into an oil pump to make sure the pump primes immediately but the vaseline melts off quickly into the oil.

Back