free website stats program anti-seize | Harley Davidson Forums

anti-seize

00BUCKSHOT

i just got done getting an gauled exhaust stud out.man lett me tell you i was sweatin big time i just knew it was going to break off in the head.i got it out by backing it out untill it got VERY tight then i sprayed it with penetrating oil ran it back in and repeated this process about 20 times untill i got it out.i then ran a 5/16-18 tap in (remember to use cutting fluid when tapping allum.)the point of this story is next time you have your exhaust off do yourself afavor and put a dab of anti-seize on the threads so the nut will come off next time!(my nut was rusted/gaulded and seized to the stud/stud was gauled in the head)thought i should share this with u guys so hopfully this post will save somebody a broken stud.

nah hobbit that would not have work for me trust me the nut was SEIZED to the stud! if i would have tried to back the studout with the engine hot i think i would have caused more problems let me explain:think about it at the stud deepest point it hotter than say half way on the stud because its closer to the comb chamber therefore the end of the stud will be explanded more because its hotter and when it reachs near the outside of the head (witch is cooler and not expanded as much) something will have to give?i may be all wrong but that what i think anyway lol and why i decieded to removed the bad stud with the engine cold.

i'm just happy the stud didn't break!man when u hear that eackkkkk noise as your tryin to get a bolt out its very scary....i would not worry about most bolts breaking because i've installed hundreds of helli-coils at work no big deal but this stud scared me because if it breaks i see no way to fix it outher than pulling the head.know anybody to fix one on the rear cylinder without pulling the head?

so it can be done?i pulled the battery box off before i started just to see if i could get the angle with a drill motor looked like i prob could drill it straight/lol glad i didn't have to try

not over there sorry :D over here yep my mate Spanner he has just come back from the TT races

TT races what is that?

Back