free website stats program Anti-seize on muffler pipe flange? | Harley Davidson Forums

Anti-seize on muffler pipe flange?

Porter

I searched and couldn't find if this was a good idea or would lead to issues.
I added Vance and Hines slip-ons a while ago and it was really difficult to remove the left side OEM muffler, even after soaking the area overnight with penetrating lubricant. At the time, I installed the slip-ons "metal to metal", but now I will be removing the mufflers to install the IDS and I was wondering if adding some anti-seize would be some preventative medicine or would antiseize allow the muffler to "slide around" making exhaust leaks.

I saw some posts that had issues with putting antiseize on the bolts of the pipe clamp, but nothing on where the slip-on muffler is squeezed onto the exhaust pipe.

The flange to my OEM left side muffler is/was really expanded/warped/bent from the removal process and I am trying to prevent this in the future.

Thank you for any input!

I had a similar problem reomving the left side stock muffler for service. The problem is, on that side, the nearest fixed support (on my 07 RKC) is up behind the rear cylinder. So the exhaust moves around to much to make wiggling the muffler do much. I noticed that when tugging/pulling/cursing the muffler that was the trouble. I gave the muffler/pipe joint a shot of PB Blaster (available at Wal-Mart) and waited maybe 5 minutes, gave a tug, and BINGO !! Muff off no problem.
I had thought of using anti sieze also, but after this, nevermind, this worked out great.
DO NOT GET BP BLASTER IN YOUR EYE!!!!!!

Being in the uk i dont know what anti-seize is but from the posts ive read it sounds a bit like copper grease
i use copper gerase whenever i have 2 different metals interfacing prevents chemical reaction between steel and alloy and is heat resistant can cost about £4 for small branded tube or can buy for £6 for 1/2 litre tub being a good scotsman i buy by the 1/2 litre but it does put the slip back into slipon
i do have to take front muffler off for service and have to change mufflers for mot (ministry of transport road worthness inspection) and they pull right off and slip right on if copper grease has been applied

Brian

I just used a bit when I installed my slip-on mufflers. make sure clamp is on tight. one of mine popped off when I first fired it up.

Yes good idea, makes muffler easier to remove. I do this everytime... also on the exhaust bolts...

Does the copper grease have a trade name?

Never Seize is silver in color and I have been using it on nuts and bolts since the 70s. Never tried it on a muffler though.

I did put some on a troublesome garage door latch back in the day on an old house I used to own. The washer and drier were in the garage. One day the wife came to me and said there was this silver stuff all over her arm and on the laundry basket. YIKES! I pretended I didn't know what it was and quickly slipped into the garage and wiped every molecule of it off of the door latch...still married almost 35 years later.

copper ease is the expensive stuff but i buy it from halfords in a 1/2 litre tub stick a paint brush in the tub and paint it everywhere i need it its also good stuff for putting on the back of brake pads to stop squeel

Brian

We used Nickel Never-Seize in the Navy to prevent items from seizing together. This was a high temperature formula that would be good on hot exhaust systems. As long as it was applied to the right area, never had a problem disassembling anything for 20 years. However, it can be real messy, so use a little care with it.

Only problem with anti-seize compound on exhaust fastener threads is that they CAN loosen if they are not checked periodically.

The HD lope as most of us know and love is pretty intense, so part of your critical fasteners checks should be to pull the heatshields off and torque fasteners subject to heat changes and vibration be checked periodically, as well as those motor mounts.

As far as using anti-seize to prevent the squeaking noise, if it works for Steve07 can't be a bad idea...if proper torque and packing gland is used up in there...and it still makes noise. If it is leaking however, I would replace the packing gland.

Last edited:
Anti sieze is a great product if used correctly I dont use it on brake pads any more try sil glide instead it works great on electrical connectors and rubber parts aso

Back