Antenna

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Animal, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Animal

Animal Active Member

Has anyone else replaced their whip antenna's with shorter one's? I found shorter one's at a cheapo parts store in Calgary called Princess Auto. The antenna are about a foot long with the bottom couple inches in a spring twist. They are for cell phones and cost ten bucks each with the same tread on the bottom as the Harley ones. The longer Harley one's hit the garage door every time I parked. Don't have a CB and rarely use the radio, CD's only till I get one of my grandkids to show me how to use a MP3 player.

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Bought a short one on Ebay and it works great! More importantly, it looks great, too!

3. Animal

Animal Active Member

I think it's great you have a box of bad idea's, I put mine in the garbage and pretend I didn't have one.

4. Fourdogs

Fourdogs Junior Member

Smitty..Tan't nutin..I bought for the measly low price of 499.00 dollars...and 3 sets a speakers later..along with and new amp...so had about 700 bucks invested in one of the most worthless piece of (edited)...in the world called 2wheel Tunes..Coz I believed what the web site testimonials said....I think I know why now in some testimonials no last name is given...lol coz it ain't so...lol. So my bad idea is setting in a coffee can underneath my Bass Boat in the garage.Sooo am thinkin most of us has some of the bad idea stuff...lol:26:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  5. Animal

Animal Active Member

If you ever get a touring bike with built in stereo check out hogtunes for replacement speakers. Best money I ever spent!

6. sambo725

sambo725 Member

i agree, installed hogtunes last week, 50%PLUS than the stock GO PENGUINS ????

7. Vibratinharley

Vibratinharley Junior Member

Wow, a bad idea box. I like that idea. I usually try to resell all my bad ideas on ebay and it is usually at a loss but I just consider it a lesson learned ( but I never learn). I hate my long whip antennas on my 08 Ultra but I use the CB ( good for 5 + miles) and the stereo reception is awesome. I want to replace them with shorter ones but I am afraid that the short ones won't perform like the factory ones, so I just deal with them. I am glad they have the built in catch in the tour pack latches to secure them when I put bike in garage. It took me two weeks and lots of scrapes on my garage ceiling to learn that these were built it. :D

8. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I use a amplified hidden antenna. The am side sucks but fm not too bad, weather band I get one station. I use this because I have quick detach tour box so I can still have my radio.

Does any one know where the factory antenna wire terminates. The bike didn't come with radio but the antenna coax is in the fairing so I would think it ends somewhere in one of the side covers but I haven't found it.

I tried a stick antenna and am reception is excellant.

9. ProF

ProF Junior Member

There probably isn't a single answer to your question. It depends on where you live and where you ride. My RG has both, the OEM and a foot long black rubber one. The short one is fine in and around town, but not as good for distance. You could also try the DX setting on FM, if your radio has it. That's a setting to maximise the reception in town.

The stubby rubber ones are cheap; you could just buy one and try them both.

10. Crazyfrog

Crazyfrog Active Member

I have the J&M short rubber antenna's on my 08 Ultra. I decided to spend a bit more for them, but I am 100% satisfied with the results. I think they were $30 each, but they are tuned specifically for Harleys. Just google them and take a look. They have speakers and radio's too.