Another Trickle Charger Question

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dangerdan, Aug 16, 2010.

1. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

The question is NOT on how to install a trickle charger , but where to mount it on the bike so its convenient for daily use. Also what type of connector can I use. A lose pig tail is not an option. I am looking for a perminent connection that is easy to access without removing the seat and is protected from the elements.

2. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

I zip tied my plug to the frame just in front of the seat so it's easy to get to and it doesn't flop around when I'm riding. The pig tail plug came with the HD smart tender.

3. futurerider

futurerider Active Member

The dealer installed mine and brought it out just above the oil dip stick. Easy access, out of the way and has a weather cover (cap) on it. When I plug it in I use the rear floor board to rest the transformer.

4. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I don't know if your EGlide has this, but my '07 Eglide has a flat plate with a hole in the center, directly under the seat/tank, and just in front of the battery. I got a split rubber plug from Home Depot/Lowes. I slipped my wires & connector in the plug and sprayed it with WD40, then shoved it into the hole hard! Now it's virtually solid mount, convenient, but not real noticeable. I used the male/female connector that comes with Battery tenders and has a rubber cap.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Behind the AC:s

6. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Here's how I did mine. I stick it in the rail bag when it is not plugged in.

TQ

Attached Files:

7. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Installed mine down the right-side mid-frame (under side/ABS cover) and it sticks out below so I can plug in tender. The HD model pigtail comes w/weather boot so you don't have to worry about weather. Also, mount it where it will disconnect if you forget to unplug...I've never forgotten (yet), but heard stories from others who rode off to hear a "twang."

8. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

When I first read this post, it sounded like the OP wanted to mount the CHARGER to the bike.

"a loose pigtail is not an option" and "permanent connection" sounded to me like he wanted to bolt the charger to the bike.

I sure am glad I did not reply with what I first wanted to say! :p

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

LOL:s

10. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

I see some really good ideas here and will check them all out.

Thanks guys for the suggestions