free website stats program Another Thread Sealer for drain plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Thread Sealer for drain plugs

J

Jack Klarich

81WZSD4OsyL._SL1500_.jpg

Here is another very good thread sealer for drain plugs. I use it on house plumbing projects also, It is available at any good auto parts store:s

Getting some of this stuff today. Great idea for cars too. Have a leaky CRV oil plug...

yepper! I use it and it does a good job! I'm like Mikey - I like it! PLUS that small can should last decades.

Thanks Jack

Bill

Thought I would report back. I put this stuff on a troubled Honda CRV plug that had leaked for a long time. So far, after applying this stuff to the threads, leak free. Will be putting this on all my vehicles drain plugs.

It isn't the threads leaking on a drain plug, it's the gasket. You are just covering up the real cause of the leak. Thread sealer is for tapered pipe threads.

Brand new gasket (Honda OEM aluminum washer) last 2 times and it leaked. This stuff may be a band-aid, but if it works, I'll take it.

IF your drain plug is still leaking after installing new seal - its time to look real close at the pan threads - have seen the oil pan crack due to over tightening - nice little line right thru the threads most often on the bottom since the metal is thinner .

Tapered pipe threads require pipe thread sealant. I'm not sure it's such a good idea to apply this to the engine oil crankcase drain plug.

The thread sealant hardens and when the plug is removed, little hardened bits of the thread sealant may remain on the engine's threads. If these bits of sealant find their way into the engine then they could block an oil passage and result in engine damage.

Back