free website stats program Another stupid question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Another stupid question

I've found a rather simple way to keep the mess down.
1. Fit one of those over-the-end of the filter wrenches to the filter using a fairly long socket extension. Hold in place with your left hand.
2. Carefully, slip your right hand under the bike at the center balancing point and lift bike up and lay over your right shoulder.
3. Loosen filter with your left hand, and leaning slightly (not too much, or the bike could slip off of your shoulder!), let the oil drip into a bucket. When done, slowly let bike down. Nothing to it!:lolrolling

I've found a rather simple way to keep the mess down.
1. Fit one of those over-the-end of the filter wrenches to the filter using a fairly long socket extension. Hold in place with your left hand.
2. Carefully, slip your right hand under the bike at the center balancing point and lift bike up and lay over your right shoulder.
3. Loosen filter with your left hand, and leaning slightly (not too much, or the bike could slip off of your shoulder!), let the oil drip into a bucket. When done, slowly let bike down. Nothing to it!:lolrolling

Hay..This sounds like a very good idea..Mabe hang the bike on its side then I can drink a beer and watch it drip...:s

I cut open the side of 2-liter bottle (leave bottom and top intact) and slide under filter. Does a good job getting most the oil, then I use brake cleaner to clean up (don't spray near electrical connector).

Ditto on the 2 liter bottle. Cut it to slide under the filter, lay a shop rag down ,slide the bottle all the way up, punch a hole in the bottom and the top of the filter and let it flow. I never see a drop on the floor doing it this way.

This is the same thing that I do and it works GREAT!

I always do what the above guys did Mat, works pretty good, in fact if you drain you crankcase first (and let it drain a while) and your bike is on the jiffy stand very little oil will even get on the coke bottle if you don't tilt the filter forward.

I wrap a large zip-loc bag around the entire filter as I unscrew it. Filter and oil drop into the bag and you can seal it and toss it. It's pretty hot but I haven't had one melt through the bag...yet!

Now this is a new one, I might try this, sounds like it's got the whole deal wrapped up.

I always do what the above guys did Mat, works pretty good, in fact if you drain you crankcase first (and let it drain a while) and your bike is on the jiffy stand very little oil will even get on the coke bottle if you don't tilt the filter forward.

Now this is a new one, I might try this, sounds like it's got the whole deal wrapped up.

Hi RBW :) I used the 2 lter bottle yesterday and it worked pretty well..Lots of ways to do it.....Thanks all....

Back