free website stats program Another stupid question | Harley Davidson Forums

Another stupid question

mat 60

Guys...When I take off my oil filter I make a mess of my bike..:(..Im gesing all I can do is stuff rags around it and remove fast....??...Please forgive me 4 asking but this wont be the last time...You guys are my only biker frends..My frends are boring...Also to tell you the truth I havent worked on bikes....Only cars and snowmobiles.......So If I say Im sorry will that cover me 4 lets say, A WEEK????....THANK YOU:D

J&P sells a plastic thingy that slides under the filter. I tried using tin foil and still made a mess.

There are various solutions to having a mess free oil filter change i personally like to use the brutal approach
I have the bike on the side stand very slightly loosen off the filter then on the closed end knock a wee hole in the lower part of the filter and one at the top having first put a drain pan under the end of the filter and the oil comes out of the lower hole and into the drain pan no mess on bike
once oil stops dripping unscrew filter and remove and dispose of old filter at local recycling centre

Brian

Guys...When I take off my oil filter I make a mess of my bike..:(..Im gesing all I can do is stuff rags around it and remove fast....??...Please forgive me 4 asking but this wont be the last time...You guys are my only biker frends..My frends are boring...Also to tell you the truth I havent worked on bikes....Only cars and snowmobiles.......So If I say Im sorry will that cover me 4 lets say, A WEEK????....THANK YOU:D

I used cut strips from a cardboard box and it worked with a very minimum spillage. Try it.
Rhys

I made a drain trough out of some plastic pipe, stuff old rags under area first, put drain trough in place, pop a hole in top and bottom of the filter top and let it drain. Once drained, remove but there is no way of ever NOT having a bit of a mess. the rags get most of it, soapy water gets the rest.

I cut open the side of 2-liter bottle (leave bottom and top intact) and slide under filter. Does a good job getting most the oil, then I use brake cleaner to clean up (don't spray near electrical connector).

I cut open the side of 2-liter bottle (leave bottom and top intact) and slide under filter. Does a good job getting most the oil, then I use brake cleaner to clean up (don't spray near electrical connector).

Ditto on the 2 liter bottle. Cut it to slide under the filter, lay a shop rag down ,slide the bottle all the way up, punch a hole in the bottom and the top of the filter and let it flow. I never see a drop on the floor doing it this way.

Ditto on the 2 liter bottle. Cut it to slide under the filter, lay a shop rag down ,slide the bottle all the way up, punch a hole in the bottom and the top of the filter and let it flow. I never see a drop on the floor doing it this way.

If you just remove the filter, the oil will get behind the plastic.

The "hole" idea sounds great.

You're never too smart to learn something new.

This is the same thing that I do and it works GREAT!

Back