free website stats program Another Stator Problem!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Stator Problem!!

TQuentin1

Staff member
Ok, Folks. Here is the detail of what I knew Wednesday through Friday:

Stator Gone Bad - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Community

On Friday, I started really problem solving on the bike. As indicated in the link, I had opened up the Primary chain inspection plate and it definitely smelled burnt. So I checked the Vac of the stator. Very low. Running about 10 Vac/1000 rpm. But I did not get any ground indiction on either pole of the stator plug or across the poles.

I tried to check the VR with the procedure indicated here:

Harley Davidson Community

But I could not get the procedure and results indicated in the procedure.

Anyway, I tore the Primary apart, and sure enough I had one burnt coil or more (see the pix in the link below). But the killer here was what I think caused the failure. I have the Hayden M6 primary chain tensioner on this bike. The system uses two springs - one inside the other. These had broken with the larger one going to pieces and scattering inside the Primary. Bits had gotten into the rotor and probably shorted the coil(s).

The bits had also chewed up the magnets in the rotor. So not only were bits of the springs running around inside the Primary, so were the bits of the magnets!

So I have replaced the stator and rotor and then put everything back together. Tested the Vac from the alternator after reassembly, and it was putting between 35-40 Vac at idle! So I hooked up the VR, and ureka! Working again.

Costs were:

29987-02A Stator Assy, 45 Amp Single $ 142.95
29999-97B Alternator Upgrade Kit 264.95
34906-85D Gasket, Inspection Cover 30.95
2918 Screw, Cap torx (4) 11.80

Sub-Total 450.65
Tax 37.18

Total $ 487.83

Just parts!!

UC Coil Failure

TQ

Last edited:
But the killer here was what I think caused the failure. I have the Hayden M6 primary chain tensioner on this bike. The system uses two springs - one inside the other. These had broken with the larger one going to pieces and scattering inside the Primary. Bits had gotten into the rotor and probably
shorted the coil(s).

TQ1,

Did You switch back to the regular type of adjuster again?:newsmile055:

Just wondered as I see ? no parts listed for the Hayden...

I would really like the Old tensioner shoe system on my 09 instead of their auto system..(in the primary)

I do like to adjust my own tension..

signed....BUBBIE

TQ, sure about that part number? Bounces on every search entry I try. What do you get in the upgrade kit. Just a new rotor?

My mistake!! The p/n is:

29999-97B

It is the rotor and a new Primary gasket.

Did You switch back to the regular type of adjuster again?:newsmile055:

Just wondered as I see ? no parts listed for the Hayden...

Nope. I had the springs from the M6 in the Dyna and used them. I like the M6 system. Not sure what happened here. This is spring steel. Should not have broken like this. But the worry I have is that I was not the last one in the Primary before this happened. The Dealership that repaired the tranny problem I had back in April, 2010 (77,435) had the Primary off, and reassembled. I had not been inside there since then until this happened.

TQ

I have never had a Hayden system in my hand. I can see it working in your favor when the engine is under power (top chain is tight and bottom chain has slack) but what keeps the springs in the Hayden from just being crushed, when you suddenly chop the throttle at 3,000 RPM and the bottom chain gets tight.?

If the chain shoe is constantly floating & taking up slack, I can see those springs taking a beating and not lasting long. Is that how the system works?

Glider, I was going by this PDF. Almost looks like just a spring on the late '01 twin model. Is the square block in the bill of material picture a hydraulic chamber part?

Attachments

• Hayden.pdf
    165.8 KB · Views: 11
O-Wow. That is totally different than the PDF I was looking at. I now see what you mean. That looks pretty cool.
Thanks!

I also have a question for TQ. Are you sure kit #29999-97B Alternator Upgrade doesn't already include a stator? Everything I read implies it does. Man, that is a lot of money for just a rotor & gasket.

O-Wow. That is totally different than the PDF I was looking at. I now see what you mean. That looks pretty cool.
Thanks!

The M-6 and HB 125 are completely different. And as I remember from installing my M-6 long ago, there is nothing to prevent the bottom row of the chain from compressing the spring. I've got 30K + trouble free miles on mine with nary a worry until TQ posted about his spring. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back