free website stats program Another shift speed question | Harley Davidson Forums

Another shift speed question

kzoo

Banned
Lets say you are cruising along a back road that is fairly straight at 50. Do you stay in 4th or drop it into 5th?

I would use 5th. And just cruise. Now if corners were on the horizon I would downshift to 4th and start carving.....:D

My 5-speed Fatboy is quite happy in 5th at 50 mph but a hint of slope and I'll drop to 4th for a few more rpms and instant power without lugging.
Ishmael

The beauty of up and down shifting is you can change your mind if the box starts lugging.I'm up and down my gears all the time,get into top asap,(with out straining the motor)and work the box to suit the conditions to maximize MPG and engine efficiency.I would add,I'm no expert,just thats the way I ride is all.Ever body gor thier own riding style,I know a couple of guys that dont drop a cog or 2 to go down hills,and ride the brakes all the way!Madness in my opinion,but they re happy!.I also know of an experienced rider that has stripped a few cogs cause he changes up way early,down way late,uses lots of throttle , so hard in fact,I swear I can hear the grinding noises from an abused box,fair makes my blood curl.

For slowing down, there's always an argument about downshifting vs heavier braking. Personally, and this is JMHO, I'm more of a brake person than a clutch person, based on the notion that brake pads are cheaper than clutch discs.

Let the games begin!

If flat and straight, and not in a pack, 5th. If any of those is not true, 4th. Nothing like rubber-banding at the back of a pack, in 5th, at that speed.

Enjoy,
rich P

Back