Another shift speed question

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by kzoo, Apr 13, 2011.

1. kzoo

kzoo Banned

Lets say you are cruising along a back road that is fairly straight at 50. Do you stay in 4th or drop it into 5th?

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

I would use 5th. And just cruise. Now if corners were on the horizon I would downshift to 4th and start carving.....:D

3. Duane53

Duane53 Active Member

Same here. I would run in 5th unless curves or steep hills.

4. Ishmael

Ishmael Active Member

My 5-speed Fatboy is quite happy in 5th at 50 mph but a hint of slope and I'll drop to 4th for a few more rpms and instant power without lugging.
    Ishmael

5. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I agree with cruising in 5th on a flat straight.
    Ken

6. gunnut

gunnut Junior Member

The beauty of up and down shifting is you can change your mind if the box starts lugging.I'm up and down my gears all the time,get into top asap,(with out straining the motor)and work the box to suit the conditions to maximize MPG and engine efficiency.I would add,I'm no expert,just thats the way I ride is all.Ever body gor thier own riding style,I know a couple of guys that dont drop a cog or 2 to go down hills,and ride the brakes all the way!Madness in my opinion,but they re happy!.I also know of an experienced rider that has stripped a few cogs cause he changes up way early,down way late,uses lots of throttle , so hard in fact,I swear I can hear the grinding noises from an abused box,fair makes my blood curl.

7. ProF

ProF Junior Member

For slowing down, there's always an argument about downshifting vs heavier braking. Personally, and this is JMHO, I'm more of a brake person than a clutch person, based on the notion that brake pads are cheaper than clutch discs.

Let the games begin!

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Flat and straight stay in 5th gear JMO

9. RibEye

RibEye Junior Member Contributor

If flat and straight, and not in a pack, 5th. If any of those is not true, 4th. Nothing like rubber-banding at the back of a pack, in 5th, at that speed.

Enjoy,
    rich P

10. fatboy se

fatboy se Member

It depends on hp and torque, I'm in 5th at 40 when cruising