free website stats program Another scavenger oil change question | Harley Davidson Forums

Another scavenger oil change question

Dswartz

I am considering doing a scavenger oil change on my 02' Dyna. I was wondering if it is really necessary to purchase the kit offered by Rogue. That thing costs over $100 and it doesn't seem to have anything special other than the hockey puck. Can I simply purchase a piece of hose to attach to the return line and leave the old filter on while I scavenge and then replace the filter. Essentially just skipping the step with the hockey puck? I know I probably wont clean out as much oil with the old filter on there but it will probably be good enough. Is that hockey puck something special?

I do the complete oil change on my softail and don't have the puck. If you follow Glider's steps you'll see when to change the oil filter and you remove just as much used oil with his way. Type complete oil change in the search forum box top right of your screen you'll find lots to read on this topic.

I just happened to answer this question the other day. Here you go. My puck by the way was only $60. EVO engine.

Welcome to the forum. The link below is for a "complete" oil change. This will allow you to get more of the oil out. I have the puck you screw into oil filter (different than this link. Sold by rogue chopper I think. Search for it on forum under complete oil change). I usually get an additional 22-26 oz of oil by doing this. It will keep the oil looking cleaner longer by getting this "leftover" oil out of the crank case.

Softail Oil Change - Harley Davidson Community

Another good link. The tool I have is near bottom of page Rogue chopper scavenger system.

Complete Oil Change (softail) - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks for the help guys. I had some free time this afternoon and went ahead and did the complete oil change. It worked out really well without the puck or any special equipment. I don't know if I will do it that way everytime but every now and then I think it's a good thing to do. The main reason I wanted to do it is I am going from Dino oil to Mobil 1 so I wanted to get all the old Dino stuff out. Thanks again

Back