free website stats program Another same old leak | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Another same old leak

I agree with NEWHD74FAN, sounds like a mainshaft oil seal, but if you have Spectro 6-speed you should see a redish tint to a drip on the bottom of you case.

You could run a bit of dye in it from Napa or other auto stores to be sure:s

I agree with NEWHD74FAN, sounds like a mainshaft oil seal, but if you have Spectro 6-speed you should see a redish tint to a drip on the bottom of you case.

Merry Christmas - if all possible seals & gaskets have been changed it will be worth the while to install leak tracer dye. the system will take very little but it will show the source of the leak.it is available at most auto supply stores.
. put in 1/4>1/2 oz and take short drives at first and then longer if necc to locate.
Have a Happy New Year, Glenn

Chopper the tranny is at the full mark. Just as it was almost 5k ago when I changed it. Primary is also full. The leak seems to be dark like the motor oil plus I was down a 1/2 quart of oil.

Garvin, I'll get some dye and try it. Question is can it be used in the motor?

Here is what we are looking at.

Attachments

• IMG_3707.jpg
    IMG_3707.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3703.jpg
    IMG_3703.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3704.jpg
    IMG_3704.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3709.jpg
    IMG_3709.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 45
Nobody has mentioned "Leak detector Dye" I had a leak for 20k and finally used some dye to make sure which oil was the culprit. Mine turned out to be coming from the trans main output seal. You could see the yellow dye coming from the seal with a flashlight-----Good stuff

Can't imagine where engine oil could be coming from in that location, especially since they replaced the pan gasket. Fluorescent additive that Kent Moore sells can be added to the engine oil with no problems, and can be left in till your next oil change, so I imagine it's the same stuff the auto supplies sell but at a much better price. I would wash it off as good as possible, add the dye to the engine oil, then run enough miles to start the leak again, then a black light should show a trail right to where it's coming from, if not then it's not engine oil. I'm surprised the dealership didn't do it to verify the source of the leak before replacing the pan gasket.

Quick question. What does your tranny vent look like? Where does it vent to?

TQ

I was at Mobile HD today when they tore my bike down. I put tracer dye in the oil before I left this morning. (Yes it was plenty cold :D)

Good news..no engine oil leak. It seems the inner primary wasn't leaking either. But they did find a big glob of silicone around the VSS and the valley beneath the starter had oil on it. I understand the VSS has an o-ring on it. In my days of wrenching if it had an o-ring it didn't need RTV. Hopefully this will finally fix it.

If you remember a while back I had trouble with my speedo during my California trip. I waited until I got back home to have it fixed. Slidell HD pulled it and cleaned it. Funny though, on the 6800 mile trip not a single leak! It is the LAST thing Slidell HD did to the bike that I didn't have to go back on...until now.

Thanks for the support!!! Have a safe and happy new year!

Aye Joe it is often the last thing that was touched that causes the next problem
If only everything got done right in the first place but that is in a different world

Brian

Aye Joe it is often the last thing that was touched that causes the next problem
If only everything got done right in the first place but that is in a different world

Brian

If anything was done right at Slidell, it would be a different story. :D

Back