free website stats program Another same old leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Another same old leak

Redfish-Joe

I haven't posted on this before because I have been waiting on the service department's to figure it out. Here is the deal. I am loosing oil from around the oil pan some where. Not tranny oil, not primary oil but engine oil. This is the work that has been done over the last several months.

Slidell HD:

Replace oil pan gasket. (I did find two loose bolts when I got home)
Replaced all inner and outer primary seals twice.
Replaced transmission seals once
Replaced VSS o-ring once.

Mobile:

Replaced bearing in inner primary and seal. (One cause of noisy starting)
Installed SE compensator.

Oil LOOKS like it is seeping from behind the front belt pulley and SEEMS to be blowing back onto the oil pan. Shifter shaft area is bone dry. Oil plug had a new o-ring and teflon on it when installed. That area seems dry all but some mist.

Mobile service dept wants me to bring it back to check it out. No problem there. You guys got any ideas? This has been the same scenario since the leak first started. Bike has 40k on it and has been a problem since about 15k. I use Mobile 1 V-Twin and change every 5k, Spectra 6 speed and change every 10k and Formula plus in the primary and change every 10k.

Sounds like the mainshaft oil seal if it is leaking out the front pulley area...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/transmission/29191-leaking_oil.html

That's what the service department's think too. The tranny is full of oil an looks just like I just put it in. The primary is also full. I was 1/2 quart down on my motor oil when I checked it. It is dark, same color and smell as whats leaking and right at time to be changed. Correct me if I am wrong but the engine oil cannot migrate to the tranny.

Thanks for your input! :D

You are correct, engine oil cannot migrate to the tranny...however if they spilled oil when doing an oil & filter change...engine oil leaches everywhere and will migrate all over the outside of the bike. Clean everything throughly, including all around the underside and front engine mount area to be sure.

You are correct, engine oil cannot migrate to the tranny...however if they spilled oil when doing an oil & filter change...engine oil leaches everywhere and will migrate all over the outside of the bike. Clean everything throughly, including all around the underside and front engine mount area to be sure.

I do my own oil changes and clean everything with Simple Green and a waterhose when I am thru.:D

Thanks again!!

As i have no real knowledge of touring models i cant really help here just thoughts though if the oil is on the front pulley if it was on the gearbox side of the pulley i would suspect the main drive oil seal and if on the primary side of the pulley i would suspect the main shaft oil seal but engine oil in that area that has got me confused unless it is coming from further forward and being driven on to the pulley by wind and vibration and then being thrown by the pulley

But then it is Friday evening and Christmas eve and i am allowed a few beers so i might have left my best thinking heid elsewhere

Brian

Thanks only a couple of hours and santa will be here i hope cos i have been good honest

Brian

Merry Christmas - if all possible seals & gaskets have been changed it will be worth the while to install leak tracer dye. the system will take very little but it will show the source of the leak.it is available at most auto supply stores.
. put in 1/4>1/2 oz and take short drives at first and then longer if necc to locate.
Have a Happy New Year, Glenn

I agree with NEWHD74FAN, sounds like a mainshaft oil seal, but if you have Spectro 6-speed you should see a redish tint to a drip on the bottom of you case.

Back