free website stats program Another roller chain conversion question | Harley Davidson Forums

Another roller chain conversion question

Dswartz

I know the issue of upgrading cam chain tensioners has been covered many times on this site. I have read quite a bit about it and finally decided to purchase the screaming eagle hydraulic conversion kit. I received the package today and was surprised that it only came with one chain. I thought the kit was supposed to come with both. Am I supposed to reuse the original secondary chain? I plan on reusing my original cams. I am assuming that you only get the other chain if you are replacing the cams.

I also purchased the cam service kit which included all the gaskets, bearings, o-rings, etc. When I opened it up I was surprised to see what looks like a metal breather assembly that I assume replaces the black plastic breather that sits on top of the rocker assembly. Is this another upgrade that harley made with the 96in engines? I am not familiar with this part, Is there anything I need to know about it? Is it just a replacement for the plastic piece?

I know the issue of upgrading cam chain tensioners has been covered many times on this site. I have read quite a bit about it and finally decided to purchase the screaming eagle hydraulic conversion kit. I received the package today and was surprised that it only came with one chain. I thought the kit was supposed to come with both. Am I supposed to reuse the original secondary chain? I plan on reusing my original cams. I am assuming that you only get the other chain if you are replacing the cams.

The SE kit only comes with the primary chain. You would have to order the secondary chain if you wanted to replace that one, but the old one should be fine. I kept my secondary and had no choice but to re-use my primary chain and sprocket because of the year model (2000 softail) and the camshaft position sensor. I'm sure you have the instructions, but just in case, this is copied directly from them......

For 1999 - 2000 Dyna, 2000 Softail, 1999 - 2000 Touring,
and 2001 EFI Touring models only:

These vehicles will retain the
original style primary cam
chain and sprockets, to work with the camshaft position
sensor. The roller style chain and sprockets

in THIS kit
are to be discarded.
Refer to the service manual and install the original splined
sprocket (H-D Part Number 25716-99) and spacer onto
the rear camshaft.
For 2001 - 2005 Dyna, 2001 - 2006 Softail, 2002 - 2006
Touring, and 2001 carbureted Touring models only:
These vehicles will use the

roller style chain and
sprockets included

in THIS kit. A thicker spacer will be
required with the new roller style camshaft sprocket. The
Spacer Kit (H-D Part Number 25285-08, purchased separately)
contains spacers of proper thickness.
Select a new spacer 0.020 inch (0.508 mm) thicker than
the original for initial chain alignment evaluation, using the
thickness chart information in the instructions included
with the Spacer Kit.

Real important you use the correct spacer. My dealer sold me a kit of about 5 different sized spacers for about $17. I only needed one and still have all the others if you want them. The .02" thicker spacer is for initial alignment, not always the final spacer to be used. Check with a straight edge and feeler gauge. Never did hear back from you about the inner bearing remover/installer tools either. Did you get my PM???

Glazier: About the bearing puller believe it or not I was talking to a buddy from work last night about it and turns out he has one. It really surprised me because he doesn't even own a harley. Apparently he used to ride and has had the tool sitting around for awhile. Anyway he's gonna let me borrow it so I wont be needing yours.

Thanks for the info on the spacers. I purchased the spacer kit and wasn't sure which ones I would need. I guess it's just a matter of trial and error. I've read about all I can read on this project and have been thinking about it for months. It's about time I start to tear into it and see how it goes. I'm looking forward to it, it's just a matter of finding the time.

As far as the metal breather does anybody know about that? I'm assuming it comes on all the 96in motors but was surprised to see it in the cam service kit. Is it even compatible for an 88?

Back