free website stats program Another Primary Noise Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Primary Noise Question

Hornet

'06 Nightrain
I've found lots of posts about this problem, grinding/rattling noise when easing off the throttle and there seem to be a variety of causes and fixes. Not sure which applies to my noise yet.
I'm hoping it's just a simple chain tension adjustment issue but I would like to get your collective expert input to these questions.

1. My tensioner shoe is worn down exactly 1/16" right down the middle where the chain sits. Do I replace that? Here's a pic:

DSC_1888.jpg

2. The top/center of the chain deflection - moves 7/8" upward from it's resting position. Need to be tightened?

3. Check out this notch in the center outer edge. There are three of them around the perimeter. Is this normal?

DSC_1887.jpg

If it's not the chain tension I'll look into the other possibilities, compensator, rotor, and all the other common problems. I just ordered a service manual but I couldn't help doing some preliminary tinkering.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Notches are normal.

How much can you lift the chain off the nylon block.? How much clearance do you have between the chain and the block.

In my opinion, 1/16" wear is nothing.

By the way. Nice pictures. That's no camera phone is it.?

You have it open and the shoe is worn. Replace the shoe. It's only $11 on ebay. You can get an auto adjuster for $100. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Unless you are a marathon rider I doubt the chain is an issue.

FYI you check a chain by loosening the adjuster. Then holding the chain a few links apart and press in and out. If it is worn you will see movement.

By the way. Nice pictures. That's no camera phone is it.?

Ha! Nope, no camera phone here. My wife's a camera geek.
And there's very little movement lifting the chain off the nylon block. Maybe 1/4"

So I guess the next step is to check the infamous two piece rotor for loose or broken bolts? That was my mechanic's first diagnosis - said he sees it all the time with the '06 models.

1/4",, That is a country mile. That is way too much.

If you have the bolt together magnet rotor, yes that has to be addressed. Be thankful you caught it in time.

A country mile? That's funny. I take it that means too much.
Alright, well I'll check back in after the next step.
Thanks,

Just remember, as the chain Heats up it also Tightens up (looses slack) when it is heated up to running temperatures it should be tight or close to very Little movement up and down but Not binding the bearings on engine or clutch... A bit loose is Better than TOO Tight....... I personally like the Stock adjuster, just like it is... Manually is no problem,,, IMO The shoe is good to go another 60,000 miles or so........

The biggest problem Most have is Not checking the tightness adjustment in several spots on the full circle.... Easy enough for you while you have all the covering off and open.. I like to use 3/8" as Tight enough and 1/2" as okay..

Good shots.....

signed....BUBBIE

UPDATE:
I think I fixed it. The compensator nut was loose, I mean not even hand tight. So much for buying that $30 breaker bar. It just came off with a flick of the wrist. The threads inside the nut were crusted with a hard gray substance....I assume it was some sort of thread lock? So I surgically scraped it out using the end of a bent wire (it was actually one of those drywall hanging hooks that the late Billy Mays pitched), and blasted with carb cleaner until it was spotless. Cleaned off any other noticeably dirty parts, wiped down the whole case, and closed it back up with new gaskets just to be safe.
I rode around 40-50 miles and haven't heard the noise so far.

But check this out - while I was in there I figured I'd pull the compensator & clutch to inspect the infamous two-piece rotor for loose screws. To my surprise, I found this:

DSC_1896-1.jpg

That's not the two piece, right? I thought they didn't use the one piece until the '07's.

Back