free website stats program Another oil thread "sorry" | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Another oil thread "sorry"

My own opinion;
IF...you ride like you say and no hard or long heat ups on oil, any dino motorcycle oil ok.
BUT...if you get caught in traffic, or really hot day, or anything out of ordinary then syn oil can't be beat.
If syn was really needed, why doesn't HD put it in all standard bikes?
wilks3

Probably cause they know there syn is junk and they know that we know:s

I sure hope no one tells my 1996 FB with 50K on it that it seems to like Spectro SYN

It didn't like the Syn 3 never bothered to try anything else

That's good to know ...thanks I'll try it next change ..I just got and order of regular dino from them this week..

Hello all,
First post for me so here it goes. Just picked up a 2005 FLHTCUI a year ago and have been using syn oil. Now today I decided to change the oil and thought about the oil cooler I have attached and thought to myself, do I still need to run syn oil with a cooler if I am not doing any heavy traffic stop and go type driving? Cooler only works if air is blowing on it anyways, but if I do nothing but cruising at highway speeds and the engine isn't ideling for long periods do I need to waist the money on syn oil? Isn't the cooler keeping it cool at highway speed?
Thanks,
Electra1
Syn Lubes also have better "lubricating" qualities and they are designed to be stickeyer or adhear to the metal better so the answer is yes, you should continue to use it. The newer syn lubes are also designed to transfer heat better, those's are the main reasons they outperform dyno oil in cooling properties.
Better Lubrication
Better Adheriance
Better Heat Transfer

I run nothing but Spectro non syn in all three tanks of my 96 evo, Its been real hot this summer and I've sat in some traffic everything seems good. I change it more often in the summer maybe every 2K. I put syn in it when I first bought it and I had some problems with oil pressure. Harly dealership told me the old EVO's don't like the synthetic or at least syn 3 anyway

I run RED LINE in my 96 glide(evo)and its perfectly happy on it.When you see the difference in the metal fuzz on the drain plugs you'll know why its a good idea !

My own opinion;
IF...you ride like you say and no hard or long heat ups on oil, any dino motorcycle oil ok.
BUT...if you get caught in traffic, or really hot day, or anything out of ordinary then syn oil can't be beat.
If syn was really needed, why doesn't HD put it in all standard bikes?
wilks3

Probaly because regular oils are cheaper and increases their profits, and by the time a failure occurs the warrantys are no longer in effect then you, not Harley spend the big bucks on repairs, as always just dollars and cents they put out a working product after that its up to you.:newsmile093:

Back