free website stats program another oil question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

another oil question

This is One reason I ONLY suggest to use and buy the 20/50 weight Fully synthetic oil.
I Prefer Redline products.. They have a good Amount of anti-wear in the oils..

The EPA has asked or ? forced many oil companies to comply with LESS or None of the anti wear additives.. 20/50 is one of the Few weights allowed to use them (anti wear).

I read an article a while back that stated the engineers were developing engines that would use No additives and "0" weight for gas mileage, making them throw away engines when done.

Anybody with More information on this Please.. Thanks!

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, Honda and Toyota have been using 0-20 for a few years now, They want the oil to go thru the engine quickly now as they have tightened the specs and want or should I say better EPA specs and better mileage

I've been using 0-40 full synthetic Esso oil for a number of years in my tractors and trucks year round. Get quick oil pressure when it's -30 outside and easy starting.

Name brand 20W-50 syn n the crankcase and just ride.

And remember, o in a motor oil is not 0 viscosity. It's low, but it's there.

I was told by an associate on an SAE Committe that they are at least discussing getting away from a numerical system.

Probably never happen.

Well it looks as though my whole thought about using Mobile 1 15/50 has now been shot. I was in a Pep Boys the other day and per quart there is only about $1.25 difference from 20/50 v twin. I have also noticed that in most Walmarts the 15/50 by the gallon jug is becoming harder and harder to find.

So I guess Mobile 1 v twin 20/50 it is.

Well it looks as though my whole thought about using Mobile 1 15/50 has now been shot. I was in a Pep Boys the other day and per quart there is only about $1.25 difference from 20/50 v twin. I have also noticed that in most Walmarts the 15/50 by the gallon jug is becoming harder and harder to find.

So I guess Mobile 1 v twin 20/50 it is.

here is my take:give the Spectro 20w-50 gold v-twin oil a go......its a synthetic blend oil and see how your engine likes alittle syn in the crank case it's $7.99 a quart and everyone on this forum will most likely agree spectro oil is very very good oil.

Jack you are correct that the goverment is putting restictions on the anti-wears in oils, It is due to the fact zinc levels play a major role on the cats life and operation , A good example of this is in the diesel industry ,look a Shell rotalla oil untill recently these oils had very high levels of Anti-wear in them proberly the highest you can find in any oil ,this is one of the reasons HD recomended desiel oil as a secondary choice in your operators manual, but they have also changed there formular taking out a lot of the anti-wear agents like Zinc.

Jack you are correct that the goverment is putting restictions on the anti-wears in oils, It is due to the fact zinc levels play a major role on the cats life and operation , A good example of this is in the diesel industry ,look a Shell rotalla oil untill recently these oils had very high levels of Anti-wear in them proberly the highest you can find in any oil ,this is one of the reasons HD recomended desiel oil as a secondary choice in your operators manual, but they have also changed there formular taking out a lot of the anti-wear agents like Zinc.
using synthetic makes you hear every thing in you engine sound louder. so the people at the dealership keep telling me. I still say the lifter shouldnt sound so loud. anyone?

using synthetic makes you hear every thing in you engine sound louder. so the people at the dealership keep telling me. I still say the lifter shouldnt sound so loud. anyone?

Most bikes will sound a bit louder in the valve train with synthetic oil, it is not a problem try not to loose sleep over this one:s

Back