free website stats program Another Oil Pressure question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Oil Pressure question

:s Good on you, now you have peace of mind, thanks for checking back in:s

The touring gauges are notorious for reading low, have your dealer check with a master gauge for peace of mind and let us know how it turns out, Good Luck

Jack, I mostly read threads and have seen many complaints of low readings but not many tested and shown to be bad sender or gauge, in fact 0-10 hot idle and 25 approx. hot at 3000 seems to be reported the most as being normal. Is this what you are saying

Just to wrap things up:
Took it in to the shop. took a day and change, but the problem turned out to be the whole gauge system. the sending unit was sending bad data, but that matter much because the gauge itself was broken anyway. but it's fixed and giving non-heartattack inducing numbers.

so bad sender and bad gauge, but how about sharing the readings of the fixed system, as in what are the numbers now compared to before. and also confirm with the same oil before and after.

Jack, I mostly read threads and have seen many complaints of low readings but not many tested and shown to be bad sender or gauge, in fact 0-10 hot idle and 25 approx. hot at 3000 seems to be reported the most as being normal. Is this what you are saying

so bad sender and bad gauge, but how about sharing the readings of the fixed system, as in what are the numbers now compared to before. and also confirm with the same oil before and after.

I believe a direct pressure gauge over a pressure sensitive switch sending info to an electric gauge would be a better set up, with the gauge set closer to the pump for more accurate readings. IMO any time you disrupt oil flow or redirect it IE thru a gauge like this you will lose a wee bit of pressure tho, not enough to cause harm , that said an idiot light if you will has worked good for many years and will continue to be affective, maybe the MOCO will figure a way to disable the ignition system or fuel pump like a lot of car manufactures do now when pressure drops too low JMO

I believe a direct pressure gauge over a pressure sensitive switch sending info to an electric gauge would be a better set up, with the gauge set closer to the pump for more accurate readings. IMO any time you disrupt oil flow or redirect it IE thru a gauge like this you will lose a wee bit of pressure tho, not enough to cause harm , that said an idiot light if you will has worked good for many years and will continue to be affective, maybe the MOCO will figure a way to disable the ignition system or fuel pump like a lot of car manufactures do now when pressure drops too low JMO

Thanks Jack
I agree with the above reply, I was wondering about your statement that HD gauges are notorious for reading low. just wondering if you are saying they are not reading correct which in turn causes people to think the pressure is not high enough

Thanks Jack
I agree with the above reply, I was wondering about your statement that HD gauges are notorious for reading low. just wondering if you are saying they are not reading correct which in turn causes people to think the pressure is not high enough

That is what I am saying:s

Because people asked:
Cold Idle is about 20, cold highway speed 40-45
Hot idle about 12, hot highway 34-36.
Also glad it was an easy fix. Wasnt looking forward to being short a bike for a week to 10 days while they put a new motor in.

Oh yeah, didnt see the second part of the question:
they had to replace a quart of oil as part of the repair. But, they did a complete oil change when i bought the bike, because it had been sitting there for 6 months. So I had them do a full service and state safety inspection.

Back