free website stats program Another 'No Spark' Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Another 'No Spark' Question

I have checked out all the previous posts and I am still in need of ‘expert advice’
I am out of idea and options. Here is the problem. No spark to either plug. I just purchased this bike and have no experience with the new TC 88 motors or electronics. The motorcycle is a 2001 FLHTC carbureted. It has the security module under the seat, but was told it did not have this option installed. Here are the events leading up to the problem and what I did to resolve.
I was/am installing a Pingle electric shifter which came off my ’94 FLHTC and worked GREAT for 6 years. (I don’t have use of my left leg is the reason for the shifter.) I was told by Pingle that this shifter and modules would work on the newer bike. They forwarded the new install instructions. I disconnected both the positive and negative leads on the battery and began installing the electrical connections. The instructions stated to splice the module lead into the hot wire to the coil. The red comes from the electrical side and the yellow goes to the coil. So far so good, right? NOPE! The remaining wires go to the positive and negative on the battery and the last wire is spliced into a switched hot wire under the tank. After all this was done, I was ready to fire it up and hit the road. NOT! It turns over and no spark. Checked the coil and replaced with new, replaced spark plug wires all was good. I contacted the local HD dealer and they stated the only way to check the ICM was to bring it to the shop- I can’t do that since I can’t ride it and no vehicle to haul it. At this point, I removed all the shifter electrical connections and still nothing at the plugs. I reviewed and tried the configuration sequencing for the security system and still nothing. The check engine light come on for the 4 seconds and then goes out. I just found a web site called “GWIZ It’ this AM and have not had a chance to try the suggestions in the article, but will later today. Working seems to get in the way sometimes.
Soooo I am open to any opinions, options or ideas ANYONE can throw at me to get this resolved.
Thanks in advance

They forwarded the new install instructions.

If you could up load a copy of the install manual and wiring diagram we can probably get you going. Need to see what the theory of operation is and how they achieve it.

Can be something like your '94 having a simple Kettering system and now the 2001 has a solid state module but don't know until we see the install instructions. Should not be too bad to get you rolling.

Hoople,
Thanks for the quick reply. 1st I don't know how to paste the scan of the of the shifter instructions. :( But there is an electronic kill module for the shifter, which interrupts the power to the coil, and allows for clutchless shifting. Originally on the ’94 bagger it was inserted in the hot/positive wire of the coil, which only had a positive and negative wire to it. So the original 12V+wire went from the bike, into and thru the electronic kill module and then out to the coil. On the '01 there are 3 wires to the coil, one 12V+, the other is for the front cylinder, and the last is for the rear cylinder. All three of these are now in a connector and these run back to some electronic contraption under the right side cover.
I have been told to check the crankshaft sensor, the cam shaft sensor, and other various sensors. I am confused if these were NEVER touched, how these could be the problem.
Anyhow thanks for the help and getting me back up and on the road.
2Tall

Have you restored the bikes wiring COMPLETELY back to the way it originally was and the bike still will not start (meaning WILL crank but will not start).?

If you have Not yet put everything back to it's original form,, I would do so.

You have to establish if any modules were damaged from any mis-wiring.

Once you have a running bike, installing the Pingle should be easy.

Your later model ignition system does not work the same way as the last bike.

Do you have a link for downloading the Pingle instructions.

Hey,
Thanks again. I put everything back just the way it was B4 I started, even the gas tank and seat 2 days ago and been at it for 2 days straight 7-8 hours a day. And no Pingle does not have a link- I had to get it from them directly.I have tried to do a screen shot and cut and paste no luck.
I agree if I can get it running- should be no problem . . .thats what I thought prior to installing this time.
this getting old ain't for sissys
Thx
2Tall

So what your saying is the bike is back to the configuration before you started the Pingle install and it will not start. It cranks but you have no spark. Does that sum it up?

TooTall,
I assume you did check all the fuses. You may be lucky and it is just something that simple. If not, I have a set of prints for a 2002 which may be close enough to help you with the problem.

If Pingle e-mailed you that schematic, you can also just forward e-mail it to me if you like and I can read it. With that I am sure we can resolve your issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoople,
I have done everything you mentioned. I contacted dealer yesterday and like always- 'bring it in and we'll see what we can do.' I sent a message to you thru here yesterday but was unable to attach. Send me your email and I will send pdf of instructions.
Thanks again

1) When you originally wired in the Pingel to your 2001, what was the color of the wire you tapped into at the coil.?

2) Are the 3 wires you have at your coil: RED,,,, White/Black,,, Yellow/Blue

3) I still looking for the answer to the question of "Does it Crank but will not start."

4) When you turn ON the ignition, do you have 12V on the White/Black wire at the Coil. (Assuming the answer to question #2 is YES)

When you originally wired in the Pingel to your 2001, what was the color of the wire you tapped into at the coil.? The wire white/black stripe
2) Are the 3 wires you have at your coil: RED,,,, White/Black,,, Yellow/Blue No they are whitew/ blk stripe 12V+, (center wire on connector) yellow w/grn stripe-front cylinder and blue w/red stripe- rear cylinder

3) I still looking for the answer to the question of "Does it Crank but will not start." I thought I had stated that above in the original- It does crank and no spark at the plug and no it doesn't start

4) When you turn ON the ignition, do you have 12V on the White/Black wire at the Coil. (Assuming the answer to question #2 is YES)[/QUOTE]Yes
It is carbureted vs fuel injected so there are different wire colors from what I can find.

I have not checked to see if there is any voltage on the yellow/grn or the blue/wht wires. I am presently reviewing AGAIN the CLYMER manual for any other ideas. I did check codes, to the best of my knowledge level, in the speedo and they all were ‘clr’
Thanks again
2Tall

My 2002 manual is not close enough because the wire colors do not match up. My manual shows Blue/Orange,, White/Black and Yellow /Blue,, so I can't trust what I see is what you see.

So you did nothing else except cut the Black/white wire going to the coil and insert the Pingel. The bike would then not start so you then removed the Pingel, repaired the Black/wire splice back to what it was and the bike still will not start like it use to.?

Nothing else was removed or modified. No sensors were touched.

If the answer is YES,,my guess from where I am is the ignition module somehow got damaged. Based on the understanding nothing else was touched, I can't see what else it can be.

There is an "Ignition Enable" pin on the module that must be in the correct logic state for the ignition to function, plus the crank sensor must tell the module to trigger but I can not see how that could be the issue if nothing else was touched. The likely-hood of some other problem happening exactly after you cut 1 single wire is remote.

Back