free website stats program Another lifter question | Harley Davidson Forums

Another lifter question

Not to hijack the previous thread I'll start another. Has anyone who has ever replaced lifters heard on NOT priming them prior to the install? I'm working on a bike and the instructions say that the lifters are full of a lightweight machine oil and not to prime them with engine oil. Seems like since they will have engine oil in them when they're running, they should be primed and setup with engine oil.

I've only primed lifters one time. If you think about it, submerging lifters in oil, and expecting unpressurized 20wt oil to seep thru the holes and force air bubble out of a .100" hole is kinda optimistic (at least I do). Except for 1, my lifters have always pumped up quickly, that 1 took about 30 seconds.

I always try to put mine in a container standing up and cover completely with oil at least overnight before installing. Not sure if they even take the oil on to be honest. Zero lash can be a bit tricky with a dry lifter though. Not sure how lifters hold full of oil when shipped in plastic bags......I have had S&S standards (in the trash with less than 5K miles), Comp Cams, and stock B lifters all of them I soaked and dont remember reading anything to the contrary....

I'll stand them up in a old butter container and cover them in oil overnight. Before I install them, I'll use a little pump oil can and pump the oil into the hole until oil comes out the top. Kinda messy but rather effective and there's no clattering on initial start up.

No need to prime. Most come with light machine oil to provide more than spring resistance when adjusting. New lifters will rattle for a minute or two but will pump up pretty quick. Even "primed" lifters will rattle as trapped air gets pumped out. Unless primed under vacuum, there will be trapped air.;)

Back