free website stats program Another Heat Management question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Heat Management question

Thanks for the replies but before the topic gets construed here, I am aware or all the tuner mix, parade fans, modes, synthetic oil etc.

My question is do you think the (Parade mode) Heat Management is worth even setting it up (in the ECM) since it only cools the rear cylinder, and of course your thighs which is a good reason I will admit, but by that time I would have probably turned my engine off.

Porter submitted a valid theory in that the rear one runs hotter than the front so this does shed some light in a functional direction. But I am just not sold that it's gonna help that much in keeping me engine any cooler than the default idle speed condition (not parade mode) that Smitty told me about (which also depends on leaving the throttle alone)

In other words I am debating if I even want to turn on HM (parade mode) .
On my 09 Ultra, I could turn the heat management/rear cylinder shutoff on and off by rolling the throttle forward. When it is turned on, it only kicks in when the bike reaches a certain temp while idling. I kept mine on all the time, and I don't think the rear cylinder ever shut down. They say when it does, the sound changes, and you smell a scent that resembles marshmallows.

On my 09 Ultra, I could turn the heat management/rear cylinder shutoff on and off by rolling the throttle forward. When it is turned on, it only kicks in when the bike reaches a certain temp while idling. I kept mine on all the time, and I don't think the rear cylinder ever shut down. They say when it does, the sound changes, and you smell a scent that resembles marshmallows.

Yes I've heard that ever since late 08 the throttle by wire bikes had this capability. I've only heard of a few that have that actually got hot enough for Parade mode to cut in. However I have on two occasions experienced the preemptive heat mode of the ECM dropping the ilde down to 900rpm with a richer mix. I would think it would do more good in reducing total engine heat than the full Parade mode. You can definitely tell the drop in idle and the engine starts to idle like it had long duration cam. Smitty originally told me about this mode which seems to be 'part' of HD's heat managment but appears to always be on (unlike the full Parade Mode). Smitty also gave me the link so here it is if any of you want to read it. It's also has a sales pitch (on the side) for an add on heat solution but none the less the article does explain HDs OEM heat management.
2007 HD Engine High Heat Characteristics

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know what the normal head temps are and when this heat management kicks in? Thanks.

The following info came from my SEPST manual:

Model Year 2007:
For all Big Twin vehicles there is an optional Heat Management System called the ‘Engine Idle Temperature Management System’ or EITMS. The Tuner software allows the EITMS to be turned ON/OFF.
For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions the optional ‘Engine Idle Temperature Management System’ (EITMS) is available. This feature offers limited rear cylinder cooling with the vehicle stopped while the engine is left at idle.
Enabling EITMS will cause the rear cylinder to be shut OFF when ALL of the following occur:
Engine Temperature reaches ~300F.
And the vehicle is at IDLE.
And the vehicle is STOPPED.
NOTE:
Customer benefits (for Rider Comfort) – If a customer experiences frequent riding conditions where prolonged idle conditions create excessive engine heat, EITMS offers limited rear cylinder cooling with the vehicle stopped and engine at idle. While enabled, the customer may notice a unique exhaust odor which may be objectionable. The EITMS does not address engine heat issues resulting from other operating conditions.

Back