free website stats program Another gps plug-in method? | Harley Davidson Forums

Another gps plug-in method?

dogdad

I know ,,this gets old, but have another question. I have the wire connection to the bike,, but what are you guys wiring it to to attach to the GPS unit itself where the mini USB connection goes.. I went to Radio Shack to buy a cord but they don't carry them. I do have an extra recharging cord that plugs into a wall outlet,,thought about cutting the electric end off and attaching the two prongs...will this work?

There are adapter plugs that have AC plug to USB and 12V Accessory Plug to USB so all you have to buy is USB plug std to mico USB. Check Best Buy and similar for the plugs, 99 cent store for the USB cable. I even had one of the illuminated USB cables so you can find the end even in the dark...!

I was thinking the gps only needs 3 or 4 volts ot 12 i was thinking the lighter plug reducted the voltage. If so you can't cut the wires off the wall plug and use them.

You should really go the GPS OEM's webpage and buy the power connectors that you need. The wall outlet cut methods are not the best way to go and most of the time they wont last either. The cradle for the unit has all the connectors that you would need to power it.

What unit are we talking about.

Here is how i did it. The gps runs off of 5 volts. You will shorten its life span with 12. Inside my ferring I added an extension to my aux switch. I went to radio shack and got a 5v voltage regulator, costs 99 cents or so. I added that inline, then a 5 amp fuse. I took a garmin brand car charger and cut only the adapter off the end, connected to the line i ran off of the switch. Now i can turn it on and off so it isnt always hot and it hard wired in the ferring. Works good like factory for not much more than the cost of the gps.

I would not spend that kind of money for the harley hand held gps. I use a standard 205 nuvi.

I just have a regular Zumo 665 and I used the mounts and connectors that came with it. No need to make anything special at all.

You should really go the GPS OEM's webpage and buy the power connectors that you need. The wall outlet cut methods are not the best way to go and most of the time they wont last either. The cradle for the unit has all the connectors that you would need to power it.

What unit are we talking about.

Garmin Nuvi 765T is the unit that started this topic. I was asking how one would hook this unit up from the orange and black accessory wires in the back of the headlight. i have to have a cable that has the attachment end for the GPS itself as we all know. So does that mean I can take a recharging wire that plugs into the wall and cut off the wall outlet end and hook it to the bikes wires?? I am told to get the accessory cable with cigarette lighter that hooks to the plug under the seat. OK i was given one by my local dealer here. Now I need take my trucks power cable that came with the GPS unit for this to work or buy another one. Garmin doesn't list this power cable on their web site with my units accessories to buy another one. I really didn't want to run a cable all the way up the bike when you have wires accessible behind the light. Also,,what do you do with the end of the power cord when your not using the GPS? I can't see a wire that is covered with a baggy or something all the time for rain or washing the bike when not hooked up. There are two different attachment ports on my GPS,, a mini USB and the vehicles power attachment cord area. So which do you think would work best?? Is the mini USB port mainly used for recharging?? I don't know. maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing ,but I want to do it correctly or not at all, which is where i am at right now.

Dogdad, the key here is the Garmin Nuvi 765T input plug, is it 5V or 12V? The AC adapter you were referring does the 115VAC to DC conversion in the AC "Lump" end so only "safe" 5V or 12V is at the input side of your Garmin. Do you have the input info on that plug (is it 2 pin female 2 conductor barrel?...) if so then you need to know the voltage (5V or 12V) and polarity (is the center +, the outside - or vice versa).

You have to be real careful here or you will damage your GPS by excessive voltage or reverse polarity. The key also is whether your Nuvi is battery operated...NiCAD or NiMH rechargeables are 1.25V or multiples of this (count the # of cells). If not battery operated look on the back of the AC adapter "lump" to get the skinny on the output voltage and polarity. If you have a DMM you can measure and find out...just be careful not to short the ends, you can damage your charger if you do this so insulate the probe ends except for the very tips.

Back