free website stats program Another Compensator Installation Question | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Compensator Installation Question

Let me add my kudo's as well Doc - that looked to be a pretty good job to tackle and you got to be feeling good about getting that mod put on yourself. I know I will whenever I get around to tackling it to completion. And with you now being the expert, I'm sure I'll have a question or two for you on the process :D - Congrats :cheers

Okay, Doc. You know I can't do an upgrade to one Ultra without doing the other one as well. I have to brag a little here... Amanda timed me upgrading the compensator tonight from "wheel up" on the lift until they touched back down... 1 hour and 15 minutes. :D

Just wanted to add a few more tips and some pictures to those thinking of pursuing this project.

First of all, you do NOT need to spend the money on the Harley primary locking tool. A ratchet extension with a large socket will do the trick just fine (have used this many times while in the primary). See the picture below.
photo 1-6.jpg

Also, I have attached a couple of pictures showing the removal and installation of the rotor without needing to do any grinding (I would avoid grinding at any cost near or around the compensator and rotor area... metal shavings + magnets + rotation = bad things). Just by loosening the inner primary bolts 1/4-1/2" allows plenty of "wiggle" room to get the old rotor out, and the new rotor in. I have experienced no adverse effects (including leaking) from this technique.
photo 2-7.jpgphoto 3-7.jpg

By the way, after doing this procedure once, I was able to do the second in 1.25 hours... makes me wonder why the H-D "stealer"ships charge 2-3 hours of labor and they have probably performed this dozens of times... :small3d007:

Happy wrenching!

Let me add my kudo's as well Doc - that looked to be a pretty good job to tackle and you got to be feeling good about getting that mod put on yourself. I know I will whenever I get around to tackling it to completion. And with you now being the expert, I'm sure I'll have a question or two for you on the process :D - Congrats :cheers

Well, if you read this entire thread, especially the previous post, you'll see why I nominate JDPEagle as the forum expert on this mod!

Nice Pictures JDP. Nice PitBull Lift. Now I see why you can wiggle the inner primary and I could not. Dyna covers are different. Clearance on rotor must be different. My shifter shaft goes through the cover unlike yours. Your controls are almost "mid controls" unlike mine.

Great Pics and detail.. Thanks!!
Cleanest inner primary I have EVEN seen. You do nice work.

Dyna covers are different. Clearance on rotor must be different. My shifter shaft goes through the cover unlike yours. Your controls are almost "mid controls" unlike mine.

Hoop, do you have mids?!?! That would definitely hinder your ability to "wiggle" the inner primary. I have forwards on my Dyna, and I also had to loosen the starter mount bolts. The Ultra was able to "wiggle" a little more without loosening the starter.

Cleanest inner primary I have EVEN seen. You do nice work.

Thanks, but I have to admit... that bike only has about 6k miles on her. :s

JDP,, Yes your correct. I do have Mid controls. I was mixed up with "mids" vs "forwards". Yep, my shifter is sightly to the rear of the compensator sprocket. That may be the reason some inner covers only need a touch of grinding where as mine would have needed a bunch.
I am being to think that Dyna is the oddball of the Family. It also needs a special length locking tool. I find most special tools are either for Dyna or everything else.

None the less, it seems your in the Fast Lane now.:p

First of all, you do NOT need to spend the money on the Harley primary locking tool. A ratchet extension with a large socket will do the trick just fine (have used this many times while in the primary). See the picture below.

Excellent tip, THANK YOU :s

Installed the new screw and here's where I have a question that I need answered before I proceed any further and button up the primary.

The instructions state:
"Rotate the compensating sprocket to make sure there is a light pressure on the sprocket from the springs. No clearance should be felt. A slight rotation should be possible by hand with the transmission in neutral."

I can rotate the sprocket but it's pretty tough and only moves 1/2 inch or so. Spark plugs are out so it's not an issue of fighting cylinder compression. No binding or unusual noises. I just expected it to rotate more. There's no in or out movement so I guess that's the "no clearance should be felt" part of it. Also, the whole assembly rotates - cam, rotor, even the screw installed last. Is that correct and normal?

Doc - I told you I'd have a question for you on this once I begin this project. So here goes :D

Where you say "installed the new screw". Is this the big compensator bolt (nut)? Do you install and torgue it down to your 140 ft-lbs before doing this rotational check? And this gets torqued down with the primary chain, tensioner and clutch still yet to be put on. Am I reading that correctly?

Thanks...

Doc - I told you I'd have a question for you on this once I begin this project. So here goes :D

Where you say "installed the new screw". Is this the big compensator bolt (nut)? Do you install and torgue it down to your 140 ft-lbs before doing this rotational check? And this gets torqued down with the primary chain, tensioner and clutch still yet to be put on. Am I reading that correctly?

Thanks...

Yes, I was referring to the large compensator bolt. Yes, install it and torque it down before attempting the rotational check. Your last question is not exactly true. I took the compensator sprocket, primary chain, and clutch out of the primary case as a unit. Switched to the new compensator sprocket and reinstalled everything as a unit again, except for the tensioner. Then used the HD primary locking tool when tightening the compensator bolt, but others have used home made devices or socket wrench extensions to prevent rotation while tightening. Tensioner got reinstalled last.

Hope this helps!

Perfect. I knew they all came out as a unit (comp sprocket/primary chain/clutch) but wasn't sure if they all went back in as a unit. Clears that up nicely...much obliged :)

Back